EGR & Oil Coolers bad -- how long can I drive?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR & Oil Coolers bad -- how long can I drive??

Its confirmed that my EGR & Oil Coolers are bad/going bad.

For the past 5 months, I've been able to do highway driving, with no towing/performance driving with no issues at all. Then the EGR vlave got clogged up and lots of BLACK SMOKE between 800 and 2100 RPMS when accelerating.

Since getting it back from the dealer last week, where they diagnosed the EGR Cooler was going bad and they cleaned the EGR Valve....its blowing lots of WHITE SMOKE (no more black smoke) and as of today my oil temp gauge is all over the map.

Starts fine. Runs solid. Dealer got $350 from me to diagnose what the obvious is AND to change the color of smoke from Black to White (ROFLMAO )

HOW LONG CAN I DRIVE LIKE THIS?? I NEED SOME TIME TO GET TO EITHER Adam at FCDP or somewhere I can get to do the full EGR Delete for me.

:ARGH: Starting to question whether the F250 was the right choice of truck for me????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

there isnt going to be a "you can drive exactly for two weeks" answer for you.

what is know though is if you keep driving it like that you chance of blowing your head gaskets goes up significantly.

so its really just a toss of the dice.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You also take a chance of hydro-locking the motor.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I agree with Lilpooh. I've had 2 trucks towed in that were losing 3 gallons+ a day of coolant and both trucks hydrolocked from the EGR cooler failure. The coolant entering the cylinders will cause excessive pressure on the head bolts causing a head gasket failure or possibly worse damage. The coolant can also seep into the oil past the rings and cause contaminated oil to be run through your injection system. Long story short I wouldn't risk it. Get an oil cooler $300, EGR delete $350, intake gaskets, and fluids and knock it out before it knocks you out.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks guys and completely understood! Drove it this morning for less than 10 mi r/t and had enough white smoke for someone the think a house was burning down.

She's down & out until I can find someone to fix.

As soon as I hear back from Adam/FCDP, I'll be determining how to get it from here up to him (5 hr drive...). Given I am not a DIY'er for this type of project and the fact I need this done now and want it done by someone with experience doing EGR deletes, I have to go with a pro of which there are few to none here in SFL. I prefer to go with the full EGR delete by FCDP, however there may be an issue with getting my truck to his shop. If I cannot, I'm going to buy this kit Basic 6.0 Powerstroke Solution and have a guy I know about who is a Ford PSD Mechanic do it after-hours at his dealership.

Last edited by Pathfinder22; 12-12-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.