Did I blow my head gaskets again? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did I blow my head gaskets again?

This past summer I had ARP's and Black Onyx head gaskets installed at the dealer after a diagnosed head gasket failure. The dealer agreed to install the head gaskets with the stipulation that they could not warranty a future head gasket failure. I gave them the go ahead and a couple days later I got my truck back with a fresh piece of mind. Fast forward to today: Towing down the interstate with my car trailer & car (about 5,300lbs total), I went to get off the highway. I realized I wasn't stopping fast and had to two-foot the brake pedal. Trailer got a little squirly but I managed to stay on the road and keep my truck in one piece, or so I thought. I saw smoke billowing from the truck, I figured I just smoked a brake pad. Pulled into the gas station and found the driver front wheel well covered in coolant, and the coolant had saturated my brake caliper, explaining my hard braking. I popped the hood and the coolant level was low, opened the degas bottle and there was a ton of pressure behind it. From June till now there was barely if any pressure behind that cap and it is a new bottle with the max line where the old min line was so it's never been overfilled per the TSB. EGR system was removed before the HG job, running a coolant filter, and I don't see more than a 9 degree delta between ECT and EOT even when towing. I was going to replace the T-stat today because it was running cold for my liking, 172 in 25 degree weather and unknown if it was ever changed before. During the summer I was running Eric's Xtreme street tune, always being sure to change that tune for his tow tune even if I was hauling my little 14' boat, and never romping on it. Any ideas? I'm just hoping the tech didn't put 245 lb-ft on the studs and I need to retorque... The irony is I'm doing a cab-off stud install on my friend's truck tomorrow.. Mine might be next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 03:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If your truck was only in a couple of days I wonder if they did not check the heads for flatness? They would have eitheir replaced them or just put the bad ones back on?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:34 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Check your egr cooler
Old 12-10-2010, 04:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It was in about a week total, but a couple days after the OK from the ford rep. Dave I checked the EGR cooler already. It's still sitting on my garage floor
Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

what type of delete did you use?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double 6L Trouble View Post
It was in about a week total, but a couple days after the OK from the ford rep. Dave I checked the EGR cooler already. It's still sitting on my garage floor
Im going with the other gentlemans suggestion too concerning the lack of head inspection or machining. I have done 3 of these exact jobs b4 and 2 of them had heads capable of being machined and were reusable, but the 3rd truck had cracked heads and were no longer servicable. Im guessing this is a common issue with the heads. Therefore, yours were more than likely not level across the deck.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
what type of delete did you use?
It looks like he used Sinister (in the sig)
Old 12-10-2010, 05:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

did you pressure test it? how about a combustion leak test. Their are cheap fluid kits that work off exhaust gases just make sure it is heated up all the way. can't tell if you got a cracked head or head gasket but either way if i was you i would get some harden valve seats. and if you are going over 50psi which i'm sure not o-ring them.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm thinking EGR cooler. I had my heads decked when I did my head gaskets and ARP studs. Did the shop check the heads for warpage? Usually when the gaskets blow - there is warpage of the heads too.

As far as EGR delete - I did the EGR delete here on the forum under 6.0 Mod Help. Cost me $50 in parts - truck runs cooler, cleaner, better mileage and no more stupid EGR cooler/valve problems!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHMissions View Post
I'm thinking EGR cooler. I had my heads decked when I did my head gaskets and ARP studs. Did the shop check the heads for warpage? Usually when the gaskets blow - there is warpage of the heads too.

As far as EGR delete - I did the EGR delete here on the forum under 6.0 Mod Help. Cost me $50 in parts - truck runs cooler, cleaner, better mileage and no more stupid EGR cooler/valve problems!
He doesnt have a cooler anymore.

Either the gaskets are bad again the heads are cracked or the little hose came off the MKM kit and leaked coolant everywhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.