Wierd but disturbingly true engine trouble! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 08:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wierd but disturbingly true engine trouble!

You guys are gonna love this! I had a new customer w/a beat up F550 dump truck in my shop for a few days now and the truck had multiple complaints ranging from starting troubles, low/no oil pressure, eng lights, huge exhaust leaks, coolant leaks....etc. I found leaking water pump, broken Y pipe at the turbo, checked for leaking stand pipes and upgraded them to the newer design while there and replaced the IPR while I had the Y pipe out. Truck still was experiencing slightly longer cranking times than usual but would run with a slightly noticable decrease in power. With the motor still somewhat apart, I did some more checking and troubleshooting. I pulled the oil filter to check the drainback valve......and it was gone! No lie, it was not there at all. Customer stated that the truck had been difficult to start for well over a year or 2! He replaced 2 turbos due to bearing failures and he said the other 3 trucks he had w/6.0s seamed to run stronger. Basically, the oil pressure light was on due to, LOW OIL Pressure! It ran like crap b/c the injectors didnt have the rail pressure required for complete injection and the turbo failed several times b/c the bearing was deprived of sufficient oil supply. This customer has his own mechanics in house but brought it to me after others tried but they couldnt figure things out after wasting many $. Amazing huh? Essentially, the underlying cause resulted in thousands wasted... over an $8 plastic valve! Hope this never happens to anyone reading this. I have no idea how many hands were on this motor over the years or how long this truly went on for? The 2004 truck had only 51,000 miles on it. Beware guys. There are so called "mechanics" out there working on trucks, doing things just like this!
Forgot to add others had replaced: 8 injectors, egr cooler and valve, HPOP, and catalytic converter in an attempt to remedy this trouble!

Last edited by Perf Diesel Shop Owner; 12-08-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Banned

Holy good find batman!

Thanks for the update so I don't look like an ****** when I'm working on some of the trucks around here. lololol this is hilarious
Old 12-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That valve get damaged or comes up MIA more than you would imagine.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so how does one prevent the valve from getting lost?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
That valve get damaged or comes up MIA more than you would imagine.
I can see how it would become damaged due to it being made of brittle plastic and some people not knowing what it is when they stick something down inside the filter housing and probe around, but MIA???? Where do you suppose it would go?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf Diesel Shop Owner View Post
I can see how it would become damaged due to it being made of brittle plastic and some people not knowing what it is when they stick something down inside the filter housing and probe around, but MIA???? Where do you suppose it would go?
where the sun dont shine?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
where the sun dont shine?
Realy? Hmmm, I guess theoretically your sir are correct. The sun would not cast any light on the inside of the oil filter housing. Very valid point indeed. Now I suppose if I were to ask the same question, to those who need clarification on the finer points of solar and mechanical properties, I would phrase it as such: If solar energy were not present on the interior structure of the oil filter housing, now void of the drainback valve, and the valve were not influenced by any terrestrial or non terrestrial being, where would we suggest the existence of the valve in question would reside?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 AM

Just a guess here, but suppose some of the little tabs broke off the bottom of the valve and the old valve stuck to an oil filter and was tossed? I could imagine that happening.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Banned

I'm going to guess to the bottom of the oil pan.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
Just a guess here, but suppose some of the little tabs broke off the bottom of the valve and the old valve stuck to an oil filter and was tossed? I could imagine that happening.
Thats what I was thinking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.