'06 blue smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'06 blue smoke

my boss has a '06 f 350 auto 6.0 L. he came in 4 days ago with blue smoke while idle & higher rpms. xhaust smells bad 2. took it 4 a test drive & i think power is fine. he said he used a lot of fuel. i really cant rule out theft. no codes with a snap on scanner. checked oil level & smell & i say its good. took turbo tube off @ pressure side of turbo, small amount of oil but no biggie. has no cat so that rules out bein full of fuel. took egr valve out, lots of crap in there. ran it with no egr. still smoke. put it all bak 2 gether. xhaut looked good. took 4 a drive, got out many times & all was good. came in 2 work 2day with same prob. any help on diagnosin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

well if your EGR valve was dirty, its possible it could be stuck again. What happens is hard coking deposits get lodged in the EGR valve and dont allow it to close properly. Sometimes if you have severe coking deposits, it requires what they call "decarb" of the intake. It cleans all the deposits out and prevents future problems. check the condition of your oil. see if it is diluted with diesel fuel. That would be a sign of injectors.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:53 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You should check the down pipe, the CHRA is where these turbos leak oil.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:17 PM

take the egr valve back out and start it up with it out. see if a bunch of black coking deposits and thick black smoke comes out of the egr port.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:59 PM

Blue smoke is oil. How often Is the oil changed? Are you using a synthetic? If you are running conventional oil with long intervals it could just be a varnish on your injectors. That usually clears up once the motor is warm. That's why I think you are blowing oil in your exhaust if it continues after the motor is up to temp.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter317 View Post
well if your EGR valve was dirty, its possible it could be stuck again. What happens is hard coking deposits get lodged in the EGR valve and dont allow it to close properly. Sometimes if you have severe coking deposits, it requires what they call "decarb" of the intake. It cleans all the deposits out and prevents future problems. check the condition of your oil. see if it is diluted with diesel fuel. That would be a sign of injectors.
i did chk oil & don't feel there is any fuel. egr makes sense cuz sometimes it's bad, sometimes a little, other times no probs. i'll start dissasmble mon since i need 2 replace egr cooler. this shud allow me 2 clean manifold well. thax
Old 12-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox'sFord View Post
You should check the down pipe, the CHRA is where these turbos leak oil.
thanx 4 reply. not sure what CHRA is
Old 12-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox'sFord View Post
Blue smoke is oil. How often Is the oil changed? Are you using a synthetic? If you are running conventional oil with long intervals it could just be a varnish on your injectors. That usually clears up once the motor is warm. That's why I think you are blowing oil in your exhaust if it continues after the motor is up to temp.
i'm runnin 15 w 40 rotella t. same as r big trks. 8000km - 5000mi. he idles it more than i like
Old 12-11-2010, 06:32 PM

Center Housing Rotating Assembly
Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 AM

the CHRA is the center of the turbo where the vanes, solenoid, and oil drain and supply tubes are. if you want, ford recommends 10W-30 Super Duty oil in temps below 30 degrees F. You can run the 15W-40 but its just gonna take a little longer to start with winter coming along fast. are you replacing the oil cooler as well as the egr cooler? 99% of the time, the egr cooler fails due to the oil cooler becoming restricted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.