parts needed to replace headgasket? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
parts needed to replace headgasket?

I'm planning on replacing my headgaskets on an 05 this weekend. I have the black onyx gaskets, ARP studs, EGR delete, Oil cooler, turbo hardware, coolant filter kit, intake and exhaust gaskets, 6.4 banjo bolts and the fuel regulator spring kit. Do I need anything else like injector o-rings? I'm not sure if they have to come out of the head not. I'm also not sure about the standoff pipe or some tube that is in the head?

Thanks for any help and I have been a member since 2005 but forgot my login so no welcomes please.

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Hey Im sorry I wrote up this lengthy reply and was interrupted and closed it out by accident. Anyway, your on the right track w/the parts you have already. I would add: IPR valve (much easier to do now), thermostat, orings for injectors b/c you should remove them and the glow plugs to check the head and/or deck it, new belt/hoses if needed b.c its MUCH easier to replace them w/cab up, teflon washer for p/s hoses, transline disconnect tool, glowplug harness removal tool, oring for oil filler neck, oring for rocker assembly housing, extra ARP lube, zip ties to hold parts as you remove them, containers to separate the hardware (makes much easier to locate for assembly later). Also, I had to spread the clip for a p-brake cable section on 1 truck I did and replace it b/c it wouldnt release. If I think of more I will post. good luck.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

STC of the HPOP?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:34 PM

So the OTC-6005A glow plug removal tool will work and I can get something like an 8 piece KD tools transline disconnect set? I guess I will order everything tomorrow and hope for the best in getting them timely. The other issue I have is I can't seem to find anyone near Albany NY to resurface the heads if it can be done at all. Would remanufactured heads from cylinder heads international be worth $500 a piece?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley10 View Post
So the OTC-6005A glow plug removal tool will work and I can get something like an 8 piece KD tools transline disconnect set? I guess I will order everything tomorrow and hope for the best in getting them timely. The other issue I have is I can't seem to find anyone near Albany NY to resurface the heads if it can be done at all. Would remanufactured heads from cylinder heads international be worth $500 a piece?
IDK much about those reman heads? I never heard of that company before. I have used the OEM from Navistar w/good luck. Just a piece of advice, if you get the updated head design, there will be a few bolts that Navistar recommends "throwing over your shoulder"!! I sware it to be true. I couldnt believe it until I read the TSB myself. They actually direct the technician in the procedure to "omit" several of the bolts in the new design b/c they weren't needed. I would search a little harder to locate a machine shop. Try calling some local auto parts stores for recommendations. To have the heads tanked, magnafluxed and machined usually costs around $350-$450. Much less expensive than purchasing new heads.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
STC of the HPOP?
If you are refering to the stand tubes as STC's then yes. They are the tubes running from the HPOP to the HP manifold above the injectors.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
you sure you wanna tackle this???? its pretty tuff,i do em all day,but i guess if your mech inclined then go fer it...

i have a new ipr if ya need one,like dude said,its much easier whilst your in there...i also have the o-rings fer the hpop some extra num 1o bolts if ya need em,i have extra fuel line,i have a whole set of injector o-rings,i have all kinds of stuff from doing upgrades and aftermarket stuff to the 6.0...holler if ya need somthin...

pm me if you need that ipr,also,pm me if ya need help,ill give you my num if ya need to ask somthin...when you go to tackle that rear driver side headstud,use rubber bands,you will know what im talkin bout when you get there....unless your doing cab off,and i feel for ya if ya aint
Old 12-08-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley10 View Post
Sorry bud, I just researched that OTC part number as a GP removal tool. You shouldnt need a glow plug removal tool. You need the tool to release the glow plug boots from the glow plugs themselves. It looks like a sheetmetal fork that engages the plastic grooved boot on the harness. You pry up on the boot with it in an attempt to release the boot connector as it is pulled through the rocker housing assembly. Its a bit tough to get older ones out as I have found. If you break 1, get the harness. It isnt that expensive, but there is a left and right side
Old 12-08-2010, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the help. I will be doing a cab off. I have been wanting this done for a while and now have a big enough garage with a lift. I have vacation time to burn this month so it's gotta get done.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:02 AM

Your were right on Rich. I found a machine shop that'll do it for $350. Next question is how much can be milled off the heads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.