04 no start after warm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 02:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 no start after warm

Ok today on my way to work .i stop at speedway shut the truck down go in get my smokes. come back and it wouldnt start tried several time over a hour. call the wife to come pick me up. she told me to give her the keys.as she is walking to the truck i told her not to waste her time its not going to fire. and first try fires up runs perfect . so we take it home. shut the truck down and tried to restart it right after first try wont do it.second try fires right up.i dont get it what the hell is wrong with this thing.i was thinking hpop fitting but its a 04 .and from what i have read it should be good. so help me out here guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 04:37 AM

Give the truck to your wife it likes her better .

It could be a number of things from a leaking o-ring on the HPOP system, poor fuel pressure, weak batteries, failing FICM and the list goes on. you really need to get it on a good scanner that can run tests and monitor sensors to narrow it down.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 PM

I want to say thank you for your post. it made me laugh in a other wish really bad day.and after reading that my day started getting better.well when i got home the truck started and runs fine started many many time always fired right up.so im at a lost.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'd say leaking through injector o-rings by the sound of it, same thing happened to me. But it definetly sounds like a high pressure oil system leak
Old 12-12-2010, 04:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had the same exact problem and 1 day it wouldnt start anymore after it was warmed up. Heres my post/convo with someone about it. p2291 help
Old 12-12-2010, 05:12 AM

Hey thanks for the link.when i can get to a computer im going to check it out.im wateing for my buddy to get his scanner back from being updated.i have a real good feeling it is a hpop leak. and after the scanner conferms this. im just going to change out all the o rings while im in there. if the leak is around the injecters i might just get some upgraded one or new cups.plus at this time im going to put in my egr delet ,new turbo drain tube,ccv mod,smoke swith etc etc. seeing that ill have it torn down this far i my as well
Old 12-13-2010, 12:58 PM

Ok with a build date of 03/04 my truck wont have the stc fitting right? also i just had my egr cooler and oil cooler replaced so is there any lines that the tech could have bumped around to make this thing leak? i still havnt got the truck scaned yet. but the fact that it didnt start again today.so im going to call the guy and see if his scanners back and when he can get me in
Old 12-13-2010, 04:04 PM

I'm gonna say its the two 10mm allen plugs in the front of the oil rail. The o-rings on those go bad ALL THE TIME and cause a high pressure oil leak when hot. When the oil is thick and cold, it compensates for the damaged o-rings, but once it gets hot and thins out, it will cause a no start when hot. you can usually crank it for about 20 seconds and it will start up. monitor your ICP level after its hot and you shut it off. You have to have 500 psi to fire your injectors and usually what happens is your ICP will sit at about 200 forever and finally build up enough pressure. I work at a Ford dealer and thats the most common problem we see for no start when hot.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter317 View Post
I'm gonna say its the two 10mm allen plugs in the front of the oil rail. The o-rings on those go bad ALL THE TIME and cause a high pressure oil leak when hot. When the oil is thick and cold, it compensates for the damaged o-rings, but once it gets hot and thins out, it will cause a no start when hot. you can usually crank it for about 20 seconds and it will start up. monitor your ICP level after its hot and you shut it off. You have to have 500 psi to fire your injectors and usually what happens is your ICP will sit at about 200 forever and finally build up enough pressure. I work at a Ford dealer and thats the most common problem we see for no start when hot.
Ok thanks for the heads up. now i need to do a update for u guys the truck is now a full on no start at all. also my build date is 03/04 but my icp sencer is in the pass side valve cover.so im thinking its a 05 motor which would mean i have a stc fitting.now is there anyway to see this fitting with out diging in to the thing?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:53 PM

not really. just pull the valve cover. you can have it off in about 30 minutes or less. but like I said, id say its the plugs. We have a fitting that screws into the ICP hole and we apply shop air to it. Do this when its hot and doesnt start but now it wont start to just do it whenever haha. If there is a high pressure oil leak, you will hear air coming from it. If it turns out to be the plugs, replace both, not just one. The other will usually be quick to follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.