Puking and Coolant Temps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Puking and Coolant Temps

Hey Gents, trying to figure out a slight problem i am having.

First, the truck had ARPs, Black Onyx Gaskets, Heads where checked, EGR deleted/removed back in March.

I have recently done a 3" front lift to clear the 35s the rear blocks not yet installed. See sig for how it sits.

The problem is i am puking coolant it seems and worse when towing (gutted and no motor/trans vw on a single UHUAL car transport so roughly at most 5k lbs. I can drain a reservoir quick say two hours or less and i have replaced it (reservoir) and the cap in the last two months.

I have read that when you change the height of the truck the coolant level should be set, adjust height and mark new FULL line. So could my problem be that i did the 3" lift on the front nothing on the back and essentially the res is over full with almost nothing in it?

Or could i have blown the heads/gaskets. Today when towing on the built in tow tune +65. the coolant temps were all over up to 230* and as low as 160* even the heat is retarded when the SCT is saying its on normal (190-195) . By all over i mean literally one minute 200-210 then plummet to 160-170ish.

help please !! thanks in advance... sigh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
With your temps bobbing up and down, sounds like the same issue I had a few months back. I cracked and spin the water pump impeller. You can read about it here.
WATER PUMP CARNAGE PICS! - TheDieselGarage.com

And if you have about 4 hours to spare, you can do the water pump yourself. Here's a how to write up.
WATER PUMP REMOVAL INSTRUCTION w/PICS. - TheDieselGarage.com
Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 PM

could this be causing the puking too or just the spiking coolant temps
Old 12-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I don't see why not, if the water pump isn't working your overheating the motor. When mine took a dump, it didn't puke, but I only drove it a couple miles with speed no more than 45mph. I babied it home knowing I had an issue.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM

hmmm time to call my friend that works at advance auto, mitchell says 3 hours to do a pump... is it really that long. Ill go ahead and do a t-stat while im there.

Do you think partly the new full line is below the res listed line since i only lifted the front as well. I am going with the pump but want to see your input on this too
Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I no nothing about lifting the front and the full line. Let's see if other members chime in to give there opinion/knownledge.

It took me around 4 hours to change the pump, but I was also taking pics and catering to my 2 daughters. It's not hard to do just time consuming.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:34 AM

Thanks man appreciate it much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.