Surging/Wierd Idle PLEASE HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Surging/Wierd Idle PLEASE HELP!!

Hey Guys,

I recently developed surging idle after the engine warms up.... here is whats happening, after i drive it on the highway, and i come to a stop at the stop light i could feel the idle surging.... it goes up and down, you can feel the vibration inside, not really like a miss, but more of a whole truck vibrating, and it sounds really weird through exhaust (i have turbo back MBRP with no kitty so you can really hear the stuff)... also when at stop light and turbo vanes are circulating, and the exaust tone goes from whistle to rumble so to speak, idle starts acting up as well, like the vanes get stuck, or they are trying to change position from open to closed, but they dont it sucessfully.... Also, before when i turn A/C on or off, engine would never feel it, but now when I turn A/C I can really feel it, and surging idle crap/vibration starts happening again... In the past 9 months i have put 8 brand new injectors, HPOP, HFCM, FICM...

Any help is always APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2010, 12:12 PM

I have the same problem and have had for quite some time. I also have mbrp and the truck also changes when you turn ac on i took the truck in to the dealer they cleaned the turbo changed egr but same symptoms if ou figure anything out let me know
Old 12-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unhappy

i have a 97 7.3 it has no power.i just bought it. dirt cheap .when i try to drive it it has no acceleration and sounds like a miss.
the check engine light does not come on at all.i plugged in my code reader to be sure and there are no active codes.
this is what i have done.
1) fuel filter
2)oil and filter change
3)air filter

i am thinking a fuel pressure test is next but i am not sure where to check it.i am new to diesels and can only assume that there is a shrader port somewhere.
also i do not know what the pressure should be.
any suggestions on where to go with this problem would be great.
thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

For surging you could have them check the fuel pressure on the rails. Might be bad plugs at the ends of the rails leaking fuel. Also it could be one of the idle valves having issues I was having surging and had to have one replaced but I cannot remember which one it was exactly. hope this helps some
Old 12-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It sounds like an ICP Sensor, I just changed mine today for the same problems. Do you have the ability to read codes? If so, what codes are you getting. I don't think it is the plugs on the fuel rails, as the OP's truck is an 03. Those plugs don't come into play unti the late 04 build engines, I think. If you don't have the ability to read codes, find someone who can help you out with this. I waited until I threw a code before I changed anything, I didn't want to throw money at a problem without knowing what it was.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathrm View Post
It sounds like an ICP Sensor, I just changed mine today for the same problems. Do you have the ability to read codes? If so, what codes are you getting. I don't think it is the plugs on the fuel rails, as the OP's truck is an 03. Those plugs don't come into play unti the late 04 build engines, I think. If you don't have the ability to read codes, find someone who can help you out with this. I waited until I threw a code before I changed anything, I didn't want to throw money at a problem without knowing what it was.
I agree with you. Its the ICP sensor.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:50 PM

I tried to pull the codes but there were none... no check engine light, no codes...i will try new ICP, and hopefully that takes care of it.

I really appreciate it guys!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i agree with the ICP sensor. i had the same problem for like 6 months and i never threw a code. finally about 3 weeks ago it threw a code for icp sensor so i replaced it and it finally went away. so im down with the icp sensor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.