left me stranded for the first time! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
left me stranded for the first time!

hello all. well, finally happened. truck left me dead in the water. lucky thing it was only a block away from home.
anyway, it wouldnt start. so i will start from the beginning.
i had a icp sensor go out on me. i waited and waited for the part to come in and in the mean time, i was driving it like that with the check engine light on. finally, the sensor gave out and when i checked the oil, it was 6 liers down. so i added to top it off so i could get home. i was losing oil at the rate of 1 liter per 50 kms. i kept topping it up as i went to get home. i got the sensor and replaced it along with the harness. fired right up and had no problems for about a week.
the day it dies, i had to start the truck without being plugged in for several days. it was about -27c for those few days. it cranked over REALLY slow and i had to try 3 times to get it to go. it sputtered pretty bad for about 30 seconds then cleared up and warmed up as usual. after letting it warm up for 10 mins i jumped in and made it around the corner and it died like someone shut off the key. no sputter, no jerking, nothing. i tried to start it again, and it seemed to spin over faster than normal. so i towed it home and did some research. i dont have any test equipment, nor am i close to it so i tore into it suspecting a stc fitting. i came to this conclusion thinking that i may have done something when it was cold and the oil was thick.
well, it looks ok. pulled the pump and it feels ok. so now i am suspecting either the ficm because it was a hard crank when cold, upping the current to it, maybe burning it up. or the ipr valve malfunctioning. i checked the ficm logic fuse, and all other fuses. all are ok.
what are your thoughts and sorry for the long post.
thanks
clarence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6 liters low on oil? yikes.....
Old 12-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

well, i see now that it was never the stc fitting as they were ok on my year truck. oh well, i am in there now. anyone got any ideas for me?? wiring harness maybe? i remember there being some rubbing issues but cant remember where to look. any help??
clarence
Old 12-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
check for chaffing on the left side of the intake, check between the last two bolts on the backoutside edge of the manifold. Found two spots on mine this weekend pulled the harness apart fixed the wires then wrapped the loom in a piece of fuel hose to keep it from happening again.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Premium Member

how, or can, i bench test the ipr valve? just apply 12v or only the 5v required to operate it? i will probably get a new one anyway. i really hate diagnosing like this, throwing parts at it till it works, but i am in a really tight spot as this is my primary vehicle, and the one i am driving now, the clutch is going out on it. so any help or suggestions would be great guys.
clarence
Old 12-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It is possible something went through the IPR, pull that and look at the screen, other than that, there may be a mulitude of things that it could be.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

i pulled it out already. its all apart. there are a couple little pieces on the screen but nothing you would think would do anything. i am going to buy a new one anyway.
if there are a multitude of things it could be, please start by listing them off. i want to check everything possible. i NEED to as we were about to buy another vehicle but that fell through. so i am in desperate need.
clarence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.