Smoking under no load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoking under no load

Need some info I replaced 3 injectors about 3 weeks ago and the truck ran right for about two weeks then it started to smoke when I started it up and gradually got worse. Everytime I let off the throttle the truck would starts blowing blue smoke untill I got the rpms up so I pulled it into the shop pulled the egr valve and turbo and cleaned them both.

Now when I am driving down the road everthing seems fine running 22 psi of boost and no smoke but when I stop put it in neutral and give her some throttle she smokes bad any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What did the EGR valve and the inside of the intake look like?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The egr had some coke build up not to muchit it didn't seem stuck but I'm not sure if its working properly can't get it into the dealer until mon for a diagnostic

The intake had some oil in it
Old 12-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What did the CHRA seal look like. Was there any oil on either the compressor side or turbine side of the turbo, if so then the CHRA oil seal has failed and the CHRA needs to be replaced and the intercooler flushed of the excess oil.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was a little worried about that but there wasn't alot of oil their what was there might have been from the valve cover going into the intake and the truck seems to be getting a lot of fuel that is not burning it doesn't seem like oil is causing the smoke but I could be wrong
Old 12-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Was there any oil on the exhaust side of the turbo, not on the intake side.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There wasn't any oil present on the exhaust side of the turbo I did end up running some injector cleaner through her it's not smoking too bad anymore just on start up think I'm back to another bad injector should have changed all 8
Old 12-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Serving Our Country!

You really need to check for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). Throwing parts at a problem is a sure way to lighten your wallet and occupy your time but is not certain to correct your issue. Start your assessment with codes.

Having changed the injectors you could have improperly seated them allowing oil and fuel to bypass the gaskets and/or o-rings causing your smoke. Recent work is frequently a good spot to double check.

There is oil in the turbo on the compressor side because of the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system. There will always be oil in the turbo on the compressor side unless you do a crankcase ventilation (CCV) reroute with inline filtration. Your description of the "valve cover going into the intake" is spot on for the PCV system. Oil vapor is picked up along with combustion gasses that blow-by the piston rings from an earlier compression-combustion cycle and recirculated to burn off in a subsequent cycle.

The turboshaft or CHRA (center housing rotating assembly) is oiled of course and if not properly cooled down before shut off, the oil may coke and cause the turbo to seize but this isn't likely to be demonstrated by excessive smoke out the tailpipe. It will throw a code. You won't likely see 22 psi of boost though because it will seize. If it's leaking then you'd see the most smoke under load not with no load as you describe...although anything seems possible with the 6.0L sometimes.

Codes along with a description of your truck's year of manufacture, mileage, your driving habits, and any modifications will further help any "on-board" assessment.

Good luck!

Jonathan
Old 12-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks and most of the time when trying to diagnose these 6.0 I have found that they don't throw a code which is what this is doing back to checking the injectors proly going to go to the dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.