Help '05 6.0 Hydrolocked - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help '05 6.0 Hydrolocked

158k mi, been running rough on cold start for the past month, finally got so bad it woudld hardly run last week. Sitting for a week, tried to chk FICM voltage. OK at 48V but when tried to start would not turn over. Thought batteries dead, replaced w/ two new batteries. Would partially turn and stop and could tell it would kick back hard after you let off the key. I'm guessing an injector leak dumped enough in one cylinder. Could that happen? Any ideas besides pulling all the glow plugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Pull the EGR valve and see if there is coolant in your intake.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yes an injector can hang open and cause a hydrolock condition. But as Newman said it could also be hydrolocked on coolant from blown EGR cooler.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:11 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

Hmmmm.... Hope you didn't bend a rod from trying to start while hydrlocked.

Sounds like you might as well start looking for another engine cause it's probably toast.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:31 PM

Lol Blueoval, don't sugar coat it man!

You'll need to pull the glowplugs and turn the engine over with the FICM unplugged to purge the cylinders. Dealers to this first before a failed EGR cooler replacement.

Even if it somehow in some crazy weird freak thing bent a rod during an attempted start with a hydrolock the piston and rod assembly is pretty easy to remove once the heads are removed. You may just have to purge the cylinder but the cause is most likely going to remain obviously. If you ever have to start looking for a new motor a Cummins swap would start looking really enticing.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, always a back story. This thing had a burned piston when I got it. Replaced piston, rebuilt head,, egr delete and oil cooler replace. Running fine for about 3Kmi, started rough running when cold about a month or so ago, guessing ficm. No loss of coolant or blowback or smoke. When checking ficm we cycled the key a few times(5-6) before trying to turn over. Could this pump enough fuel in to lock? No cummins swap, anything serious it's going to junk. Anybody need a perfect 350 DRW w/12ft flatbed let me know.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No that would not be enough to hydrolock the engine, I have never seen a 6.0L bend a rod due to a hydrolock condidtion so I would not worry.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So is the consensus that there is a coolant leak into a cylinder or could a faulty injector dump that much fuel in? A head gasket leak seems like it would let coolant in and out. There should not be anywhere in the egr delete to leak into the intake. Again, oil clean and not losing coolant or puking. I think a faulty injector caused the burned piston so maybe we I've lost another injector. Prob should have replaced all eight.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:42 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would check for a leaking copper washer IF it's fuel. You really need to pull the glow plugs and figure out which cylinder it is and what's in it first.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 AM

I doubt you have a bent rod. I hydro locked my engine a few months ago while offroading. I tried to start the truck once and it turned for a second then stopped. I knew it was hydro locked so I called a tow truck and got it towed home. I pulled both inner fenders and removed all 8 glow plugs. Theres a plug on the passenger fender that you can put power too and it will crank the truck but wont start. I did that a few times until no more water was coming out of the glow plug holes. I then re installed the glow plugs and after a bit of cranking it fired up and smoked for a few minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.