'04 6.0 Wont Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 07:32 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'04 6.0 Wont Start

I just received my AE diagnostics equipment and was able to test the HPO system while cranking. It shot up to 1300 PSI so I think the HPO system is fine...BUT...

Where do I go from here?

While I was waiting on my diagnostics program... I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor because it was easy, I cleaned the EGR valve, and I removed the ICP and inspected it and ohm-tested it (804) and reinstalled it.

If I am getting good HPO pressure can I assume that the IPR is OK?

At this point I am pretty much lost...I dont know enough about AE program to know if it can test the FICM for me or if I need to do it with a meter...

From the threads I've read and the notes I've assembled I am wondering about the following:
FICM - Fuel Injection Control Module
ICP- Injection Control Pressure Sensor
IPR- Injector Pressure Relay. It is what controls the pressure from the HPOP to the injectors
PCM - Powertrain Control Module calculates the proper idle speed for conditions
IDM - Injector Driver Module Amplifies the voltage for the injectors
Located in the fender behind F350 emblem. Remove fender liner to get to it.

I'm frustrated - please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ok as far as the FICM goes, monitor the voltage. It needs 48V to properly operate the injectors. Most of the time on these engines, the DC-DC converter, which is internal to the FICM, fails and it doesnt produce the proper 48V. Usually when this happens tho, it will throw a P0611 or DTCs for all 8 injectors low circuit faults. On the ICP, check voltage when key on, engine off. Should be between 0.15 and 0.35V. Check the connector on it also. There is a lot of problems with the ICP connector getting corrosion. You have to have 500 psi for the injectors to fire. While cranking, monitor ICP parameters and see if it reaches 500 psi quickly. But you said it shot up to 1300 so it should be ok. IPR (injection pressure regulator) should be ok with the high psi like you said. PCM would be one of the last things to check but not ruling it out either. Hope this helps. Post back with results
Old 12-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

6.0l Start requirements

FICM_L: should read 11.0 to 12.0 volts at key-on/engine-off and remain steady while you crank the engine.

FICM_M: should read 47.5 to 48.0 volts at key-on/engine-off and remain steady while you crank the engine.

FICM_V: should read 11.0 to 12.0 volts at key-on/engine-off and remain steady while you crank the engine.

ICP V: should read 0.18 to 0.25 volts at key-on/engine-off and climb to minimum 0.8 volts while you crank the engine.

ICP: should read 0 psi at key-on/engine-off and climb to minimum 500 psi while you crank the engine over.

IPR Duty Cycle: should read 14.84% at key-on/engine-off and climb to around 50% as you crank the engine over.

FICM_SYNC: should read "NO" at key-on/engine-off and change to "YES" when you crank the engine over.

SYNC: should read "NO" at key-on/engine-off and change to "YES" when you crank the engine over.

V_PWR: should indicate around 12 volts at key-on/engine-off and drop to no lower than 9.5 volts while cranking the engine over.

RPM: should indicate around 175 to 200 as you crank the engine over. Any slower, and it's not cranking fast enough.

Fuel pressure spec is 56 psi, and no lower than 45 psi under load. This can be measured by connecting a fuel pressure gauge to the secondary fuel filter housing port that requires a 6mm allen key to remove.

EVERYTHING I've listed above, is what is needed to achieve a 6.0L engine that starts. You now need to find out which of the above is missing.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:46 PM

very well put Bondsman
Old 12-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is great info there .

The fitting for checking the fuel pressure is an M12 1.5 port fitting and then adapt to your gauge. Try to find one with a nipple about 1 1/2 inches long or it wont fit past the bowl/regulator housing. I ended up grinding the hex off of the fitting when I did mine.
That same fitting will work to check actual HPOP pressure at the ICP, too.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:35 PM

no start thread in my sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.