Another puking question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Puking. EGR cooler or HG's?

Truck only pukes when run hard. EGR is blocked of on the up pipe and valve welded shut. Just replaced cap. Oil temp is normally no more than 10 deg. higher than water temp. My hypothesis is head gaskets. The reputable shop that the truck is at right now says that it is the egr cooler. My question is this. Can the egr cooler still cause puking even though it no longer has exhaust gasses running thru it? I hope this shop is as good as everyone says it is. They are installing a bullet proof egr cooler, replacing the oil cooler, hot tanking the intake manifold, installing new intake gaskets and hpop screen, and flushing the coolant system and installing new coolant. Right around $1,600. Not a bad price if it fixes the problem. My gut still says HG's. What do you all think?

Last edited by capcalvin; 12-01-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

Old 12-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

I would get it checked out at the dealer. Have them pressure test your system. If it ends up being head gaskets and they replace all that stuff and not the head gaskets, it will be a waste of time and money. Oil cooler is good if it is only at 10 over. Why would your egr cooler be bad if it is blocked off? You could pull your egr valve and look in there to see if it is wet.
Get a complete egr delete, have your coolant system checked before you go any further. It could be something as simple as your degas cap is bad... Are you keeping the coolant level at the stamped "MIN" on the bottle? The MIN is the actual MAX your coolant should be at. If it is over, it could puke under load.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondsman View Post
I would get it checked out at the dealer. Have them pressure test your system. If it ends up being head gaskets and they replace all that stuff and not the head gaskets, it will be a waste of time and money. Oil cooler is good if it is only at 10 over. Why would your egr cooler be bad if it is blocked off? You could pull your egr valve and look in there to see if it is wet.
Get a complete egr delete, have your coolant system checked before you go any further. It could be something as simple as your degas cap is bad... Are you keeping the coolant level at the stamped "MIN" on the bottle? The MIN is the actual MAX your coolant should be at. If it is over, it could puke under load.
Thanks for the reply. I keep the coolant level 1/4" under the min and the cap is new. They said when they pulled the egr valve it was wet in there. They did pressure test it. That is my concern is that it would be wasted money if it doesnt fix it. The shop that it is at is the best around. The dealer shops around here are not very reputable as far as the 6.0 goes. I was torn between doing the delete and the bullet proof. The problem there is the county that I live in has emission testing. They don't test diesels now, but they may in the near future. Otherwise it would be gone. If this doesnt fix the problem then I hope they will make good on the difference to do the HG's but I'm not holding my breath. I am crossing my fingers. I will update this thread when I get it back and let you know how it goes.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

Bad news today. The shop called and the truck is all back together with new bullet proof egr cooler and new oil cooler. Still puking! As I initially suspected they are now saying its the head gaskets. The good news is, the head gaskets are covered under my warranty and now I can get the ARP's installed under warranty. The only problem is they can't get to it for a week and then it will be another week and a half after that till its done. It's one of my plow trucks so I will be picking it up to plow snow and then taking it back to them next tuesday by appointment. The service manager did say he would work with me on the bill for the egr cooler and oil cooler but it still sucks becouse it could have been done while the truck was tore down for headgaskets and studs. Oh whell, I guess the truck will be good to go after all this. I will keep this thread updated as things progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.