weak fuel pressure after crossover line - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
weak fuel pressure after crossover line

I had blown head gaskets so I pulled the engine apart, had the heads checked and surfaced. When it was apart I did all of this also. ARP's, black onix, updated oil lines for turbo, 6.4 banjo bolts, updated fuel regulator with blue spring and I put a crossover line on the back of the heads.

At idel it reads 48lbs of pressure and if you drive it it will drop as far as 42lbs. never been up in the 60's like it should be. I could not figure out how to bleed the fuel system and I was told I did not need to. I know air will not read correct pressure. Is air my problem? Will it work its way out or is it something else?

My engine is a 2004 6.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Lt. Negativity

Replace the spring in the fuel bowl and see how that goes. The new update spring.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

Says he did install the blue spring. I just did mine with the blue spring and am getting 68psi. Air in the lines will give you a jumpy needle... Where are you getting your fuel pressure reading from?
How long since you did the work? How many miles since?
Any leaks??? Did you replace your fuel filters? Doubt a crossover will drop your pressure. Maybe some crap got in the fuel regulator when you changed the spring? Did you get the Ford kit and replace everything in there?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:22 PM

I replaced it with the ford kit with the blue spring. Replaced everything that came in the kit. Cleaned it with carb cleaner and put back together. Both filters are new. I am pretty anal about stuff so i am pretty sure it was clean. I have a auto meter gauge with a remote sender tied into the test port on the regulator. I did bleed the sender. Saw no leaks. It worked well before the build. I have only drove it about 5 miles as i was concerned with the readings. The needle is jumpy a couple of pounds. I feal (hope) it is air in the system that needs to work out. I am going to drive it to work in the morning. I should be able to put 40 miles or so on it through the day. Maybe it will work the air out.

Thanks for any help and opinions. I called Pure Power about the line and he said it could take 50 plus miles to work the air out. i just do not want to trash the injectors with low pressure until it does!
Old 12-01-2010, 01:08 PM

Drove the truck stop and go for about 60 miles today. The pressure went up by a couple pounds. needle is still jumping around. With as long as that crosover line is I would think it would hold a lot of air and take a long time to work the air out. I am trying to come up with a way to block flow to the passanger side head to alow the fuel to flow from the filter/regulator to the drivers side through the crosover and back out the front of the passanger side head. That would flush out the air but I am not sure how to do it?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

You could put a schroeder valve in your crossover just before the fp sending unit and bleed it that way. Just get a tee fitting to accomplish that.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:13 PM

the line i have goes direct from head to head. almost no room back there with the up pipes. the sending unit i have into the test port by the oem regulator. I used the sinister extention for the sending unit.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Well, you could remove the passenger side fuel line at the fuel bowl, cap off the fuel bowl where you remove that line so fuel doesn't spew out. Turn on the truck so the fuel pump kicks on. It will push the fuel through the driver side through your crossover and out of that fuel line you disconnected on the passenger side. Turn off the truck and reconnect the line.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:02 PM

that was my thought. I may take it off on saturday to see if I can match something up to it to cap it.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:08 PM

What was the fuel pressure prior? New fuel filters? Could have a weak fuel pump??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.