Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

The Saga Continues

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  LAW-DOG 
#1 ·
Well, after breaking down 600 miles from home a few months ago. Failed EGR Cooler and Oil Cooler replaced under warranty. Then having the turbo stick along with three bad injectors, repaired under warranty. I noticed that I was eating coolant. Dealer just advised it needs head gaskets and waiting on Ford to approve the repairs.

Don't get me wrong I love the truck, but it spends more time in the shop than in my driveway. I hope that this will be the end of the story, but The CPO warranty and the Ford Diesel Care sure have paid for themself. I would guess that the bills out of pocket would have been 8-10K if I had not been covered. From my experience if you can get a Ford warranty on your truck, you would be crazy not to have it!!!!!!:doh:

#4 ·
I worked for a large Ford store for several years as a sales manager, and to my knowledge there are no Ford warranties that you can get when you pass the 36k/3year unless it is a CPO (Certifed Pre Own) sold by a ford dealer and you have to upgrade the warranty when you buy the truck.

Don't buy one of these non ford warranties, unless it's Easy Care. There not worth the paper there on!!

#3 ·
Hope they cover the repair. While they're in there, you should see if they would put in a new STC fitting. It would be a really good time to do it even if you had to pay for it out of pocket.

#5 ·
STC fitting????

#6 ·
Snap To Connect, it's a fitting on the HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump) which is a common failure point on the 05's. I don't believe that it's expensive, but the labor involved to replace it would be. Getting to the point to replace the head gaskets, it's well worth the cost to replace this component. If it fails you'll likely be walking home that evening.

#9 ·
Chango

You may be correct as my truck was 15 days past the 5 yr mark when I purchased it. I diid a check of what warranties I could buy and the ford site said none. I lucked out though as mine had diesel care already and I paid the $50.00 to tranfer it to me. I ended up with 6yrs/100k on the powertrain as it was a CPO, and 7yrs/200k on the engine with the diesel care.

For the price I gave. it has been well worth twice the moneies I paid!!!

#10 ·
Nice, it for sure can payoff for someone that needs it. Glad you had it, I was right at that point and decided against it since it only added 2 years. If anyone does go for it, its the same thing as a car you can haggle and talk them down way less than what they list the plan for.
In twotones case this is what he is looking for, a little peace of mind. Twotone dont go for the first 3 prices they give you. when I called about it I had them down $500 within 10 minutes or so lol

#11 ·
I agree with your ideal that there is a mark up in the price of the warranty, and dealers will work with you on the price. However there is a limit to what a dealer can do in your final cost. If you are in the process of purchasing a vehicle this will be your best time to work on the cost of the maintence plan. But if you own the truck or did not purchase it at that dealer, they may not be as willing to work on the price.

For me, with my knowledge of the system, I was able to get a great deal that has saved me thousands of dollars on needed repairs. I had them certify the truck before I bought it. and then transfered the diesel care.

If twotones paid 2k for a diesel care plan, and he had head gaskets or injector problems he would still be way ahead of what it would cost. Let's just say 6.0 don't have the best service history and if you can plan ahead for failure, then what are you worrying about. I have health and home owners insurance, but I sure don't look forward to using them.

The problem is 2k seems high until they hand you a 5k service bill.

#12 ·
The truck is back home agian, it ended up being in the shop for 10 days. New head gaskets and all seems well so far. I have only driven a couple of hunderd mile since I picked it up. All repairs were covered by Diesel Care plan so nothing out of pocket on this repair.

The bottom has fallen out of the temps here in KY, but no problems on start up, or driving in cold. We have seen a few nights in the single digits, and I did not have it plug in. I have now gotten room in the garage, so temps don't drop below 35 in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.