does this soud like a bad ficm or bad injectors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 05:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
does this soud like a bad ficm or bad injectors

hey yall so my truck has been acting up here lately. within the past month. it first started with it starting normal (sat over night then started in morning) then once it started it idled rough for a few seconds then it cleared up. then later that week i would start it up at end of work started fine idled fine and i started driving down the road and it would get up to a high rpm and just wouldnt shift until i let off gas will this past wednesday night my girl friend went to start truck after it sat all night the night before and that day and she couldnt get it started will the next morning thanksgiving morning i went out and looked at truck i tried starting it nothing it would just crank will i replace the egr valve still no start so then i pluged the block heater in for 45 minutes went to start it finally got it to start for a second or two then it died so i started it again this time it was so rough starting but it started very rough sounding white smoke just a pouring out that lasted maybe 20 to 30 seconds then it cleared up and ran fine i took it down the road drove fine park it then today i went to start it it was a little rough but it started and the black smoke was pouring out for 30 seconds then went away and truck drove smooth and fine whats wrong>>>

heres some videos of what i was talking about click on image a new window will open its photobucket its a video

this is the truck idleling rough then it went away

this is of it not wanting to start at all

this is of it puting out black smoke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Serving Our Country!

you can test the ficm with a multi-meter, for everything else you need to test you need a scan tool capable of reading real time data like the dealer does.

most of us use auto enginuity as it runs off of a laptop. this will let you see icp, ipr, ficm, etc which is all critical information to pinpoint your problem.

i suggest you either find someone with AE, buy it yourself, or take it in to a shop. replacing parts on these trucks gets expensive fast.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:20 PM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
do you have a cel, or a way to pull codes??
Old 11-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to dantry
I hope you find out what it is cuz mine is doin the exact same thing....... bump
Old 11-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to dantry
Any luck on what you got goin on? Mines heading into the shop this week for the same issues.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It "looks" like injector issues. I'm interested to know what the outcome is.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:01 PM

i tested the ficm and i got a voltage reading of 24 while running so i took it off tonight and ill be sending it out to swamps diesel
Old 01-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My Ex is doing the same song and dance. However, my FICM checked out good. I'm assuming that checking the top rear pin on a 7 pin FICM is correct. I had 48 VDC. I've posted my problems in my links. I'm looking for some useful links for checking the fuel injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.