Need some opinions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some opinions

2005 6.0 56000 miles
Problems:
Really rough starts and will not run right unless fully warmed up.
Driving to thanksgiving dinner and the truck has no heat, truck starts to over heat, I pull over and add a gallon of coolant.... heat comes back. However my pyro. was at 700* so she wasnt that hot.
Smell of coolant in the cab....fml not again, already did a egr cooler at 36000
Truck is breaking up at WOT and at moderately pressed pedal. She is just not running smooth anymore.
Oh and my turbo is crying lol

This is what I'm thinking... Head gaskets are leaking and/or egr is cracked. Also think my ficm is going, or possibly glow plugs? maybe injectors?

Tell me what you guys think and how should i approach this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 06:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

rough starts and wont run right till fully warmed up. Im gonna go with Injector Stiction since thats the problem that I had with the same symptoms. Search around the forums and you will see a few different threads of people with the same problem. I switched my oil to Rotella T5 after reading a thread on it about here and I believe my truck is running better (only been 50 miles or so, could be my imagination) but dont want to say it solved my problem till I put 1k miles on it or so.

Your truck got hot and showed it was overheating on you because it was way low on coolant. Keep an eye on your coolant level cause you might have another EGR problem. It was fixed under warranty at the dealer right? There is a thread floating around that has analysis's done on the Ford Gold coolant and it appears to be the cause of the whole EGR clogging thing. I will try and hunt it down, I read too many different forums I dont remember where the hell I saw it LOL. I have to start bookmarking this stuff so I can link the threads instead of just talking out of my rear end
Old 11-30-2010, 06:38 AM

Heres the thread on switching to Rotella T5 with good results in helping with stiction. 6.0 oil analysis on Rotella T-5 10w-30. You will probably like this.

Heres an interesting read regarding the Ford gold coolant and how its the cause of the gunking up of the EGR Replaced oil cooler still difference in temps

Last edited by Chango; 11-30-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

I already run the Rotella it fixes the problem for maybe a hundred miles or so and the problem comes right back. Every winter the problem keeps getting worse and worse. If I have the block heater on it will start fine but the truck still needs to warm up before i can even move it. Who knows with the coolant, I got yelled at by ford for using green so I went back to gold.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 PM

Well under warranty, listen to Ford. If your out of it, you need to look out for yourself cause I can 100% guarantee Ford is looking out for themselves and can give a rats *** what happens with your truck once its not under warranty. If rotella fixes the problem for a few hundred miles that makes me think more and more it is caused by stiction. You should give Rev-X or Hotshots Secret a try. I had hotshots secret and it took care of my long warmups within 500 miles and I was able to start the truck and pull away a minute later. Its $60 -$75 which is spending alot less money than replacing injectors. Eventhough you have already switched to Rotella, grab a beer and sit down and read through that entire thread that I posted the link to. It has a wealth of information regarding stiction and what other people have done to take care of it.
You need to read through both those links for important relevant information to whats going on with your truck. The second link has great information about the coolant. This is info coming from the 100's of people who have the same problems you do

Last edited by Chango; 11-30-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.