p2291 help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 06:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
p2291 help

I've recently started kicking a p2291 code. Back in July on my way to Daytona I noticed when I would stop for fuel or whatever it would be really hard to start back up and it has been like that since. Friday afternoon I drove about 15 miles to Walgreens and I couldn't get it to start back up. It finally fired up once the motor cooled down for a while. I've had the HPOP changed about 30,000 miles ago so I'm not thinking it could be that. From what I've read I'm leaning towards a ICP sensor, oil leak or something along those lines. I have noticed lately on the back of the motor around the bell housing area on the passenger side that there is a slight oil leak from up top running down. Is there another sensor on the back of the motor? If so should I be leaning towards that or look elsewhere? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston77 View Post
I've recently started kicking a p2291 code. Back in July on my way to Daytona I noticed when I would stop for fuel or whatever it would be really hard to start back up and it has been like that since. Friday afternoon I drove about 15 miles to Walgreens and I couldn't get it to start back up. It finally fired up once the motor cooled down for a while. I've had the HPOP changed about 30,000 miles ago so I'm not thinking it could be that. From what I've read I'm leaning towards a ICP sensor, oil leak or something along those lines. I have noticed lately on the back of the motor around the bell housing area on the passenger side that there is a slight oil leak from up top running down. Is there another sensor on the back of the motor? If so should I be leaning towards that or look elsewhere? Thanks in advance!
Did you have the whole high pressure oil pump changed, or just the STC fitting? If it is the truck depicted in the photo, that looks like a 2005 to 2007 model year truck. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if going to your nearest local Ford dealer parts department and ordering a 6E7Z-9A332-B kit and installing it will fix the problem you are having. I'm almost 100% certain on that. If you're wondering what that kit consists of, it contains two updated dummy rail plugs and standpipes to both banks of cylinders, along with the green o-ring for the air inlet breather tube. The updated parts now have a white teflon o-ring that reinforces the rubber d-rings to prevent a future failure.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah the mechanic changed the whole thing not the just the fitting and it is the truck in the pic. Guess after I finish trying to be Clark Griswald I'll get to tearing it apart lol. Thanks for the help and soon as I get it done I'll let ya know what the outcome is.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So I finally got around to getting to Ford this morning to order the part. That part # you gave me didn't work but if you put A in place of B they come up with some metal cylinder thing and the guy at the counter said my motor has 2. Is that what part I should be getting?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston77 View Post
So I finally got around to getting to Ford this morning to order the part. That part # you gave me didn't work but if you put A in place of B they come up with some metal cylinder thing and the guy at the counter said my motor has 2. Is that what part I should be getting?

[IMG][/IMG]
Yes, 6E7Z-9A332-A only gives you ONE standpipe (the part you circled in the picture). But if you order part number 6E7Z-9A332-B, that kit gives you two standpipes (one for each bank of cylinders) and two dummy rail plugs (again, one for each bank of cylinders), along with the crankcase breather tube o-ring and high pressure oil test port plug. Both the dummy rail plugs and the standpipes are now updated with white teflon reinforcement rings.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks, I'll head over there today and see what I come up with. I've been to that dealership before but never on the weekend and the guy that was working the counter wasn't 1 of the usual guys working. He probably didn't know or wasn't doing something right.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So I went back to the dealer and the regular counter dudes were working and pulled the part right up. They ordered it and yesterday I started tackling it. I'm not finished yet putting it back together but I'm thinking you were right on the money. One of the dummy plugs O ring was just about gone. Should have it back together this afternoon and know for sure.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does the kit include instructions?
Old 12-12-2010, 04:43 AM

Is it necessary to change the valve cover gaskets?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:07 AM

The valve cover gaskets are reusable as long as they are not damaged. As far as instructions it is pretty straightforward. Remove both valve covers and the standpipes/dummy plugs are 10mm hex and the replacements are 12mm hex. Unscrew the dummy plugs and they will just come out. The standpipes will sometimes come out as 2 pieces. In that case you need to find a piece of wood that will fit into the lower standpipe tight enough to pull it out otherwise you will have to remove oil rail in order to get pliers on the lower standpipe piece that is still stuck in the branch tube. The standpipes and dummy plugs torque to 60 ft. lbs. The Ford LCF's tend to blow the standpipe O-rings and the 6.0s tend to blow the dummy plug O-rings but changing both will ensure no future issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.