3rd Head Gasket issue is now Cracked Heads! Need Heads! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3rd Head Gasket issue is now Cracked Heads! Need Heads!

Love the Ford truck, hate the friggin fact that they didn't design the 6.0L with enough head bolts!! I lent my truck to a 'friend' for a weekend and when he brought it back he said "man that truck hauls ***!". That's when a little voice in the back of my head said 'oh no', as the truck has all the Banks goodies on it and a six shooter, etc., and can easily exceed 30lbs of boost.

The next day I hooked it up to my stacker trailer and headed to the race track. I immediately noticed the tell tale symptons of a blown head gasket. (3rd time & I have ARP studs too!) Afer a few profanities, off the truck went to my local diesel shop.(again)

After teardown they discovered that the heads are cracked all the way through and are not repairable. Basically, they're boat anchors. Now I have to buy new heads. The local Ford Dealer is quoting $1350 Each, and we can't find a good set of used heads locally. That said, before I pull the trigger on $2800 worth of heads, I'd like to understand what my options are for either stock heads or better performing heads aftermarket. That said, my questions are:

1. Any recommendations as to where I can find a set of new or rebuilt heads for less than $1350 each?

2. If I do have to grab both ankles, then I'd like to know if there's a better flowing/performing head out there for close to the same amount ($$) as the Ford stock replacements? If so, then I may just upgrade to a better head.

3. Also, if I have a 'Sneaky Pipe' installed on the motor, do I have to have the EGR cooler? If it's not needed or there's a way to bypass it, I'd rather just toss it as it's also leaking. ($450 from the dealer)

Any help you guys can offer is much appreciated!

Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't know about performance heads or anything like that, but even with brand new heads HAVE THEM DECKED FOR FLATNESS! Don't let the dealer tell you they're flat and it's fine. Demand to have them Decked for Flatness. And i can Almost guarantee you they will not fail again. Provided the installer does everything else correct. Torque, reassembly, etc....
Old 11-23-2010, 09:03 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

also get them fire ringed why they are off and get fire ring gaskets
Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 AM

^ not needed if the heads are truely Flat. Unless theres something that i don't know about this truck...
Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

well if its tuned you can run higher boost levels without worrying about it with the fire rings right?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 AM

With the heads flat and the ARPS installed correctly i wouldn't at all be worried about more boost. I'd say they'd be able to hold a good 50 - 60 PSI all day, but once you get into boost pressures that high i'd worry about the valve train before i'd worry about the studs
Old 11-23-2010, 09:44 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

i guees.but if it was me i would fire them while they were out.thats just me though.i like the extra insurance
Old 11-23-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pwrstrokr6.4 View Post
also get them fire ringed why they are off and get fire ring gaskets
Fire rings don't last with repeated hot-cold cycles. Like driving your truck, letting it sit overnight, and then driving it again. The majority of folks using fire rings are sled pullers or drag racers. Not daily drivers.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:02 AM
Premium Member

OP, there is a guy in the classifieds that has a set of 2007 heads with about 30k on them I think. Says they have already been checked and everything! IIRC he wants $1000 for the pair. Check it out!

Jeremy
Old 11-24-2010, 04:34 AM

SHHHHHHHH !!!!! I have my eye on those....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.