06 Inconsistent Hard Starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 Inconsistent Hard Starting

Hi Folks, I need a little guidance here. I have a new to me completely stock 6.0 with 160K miles.

The first start of the day or after it has been sitting a few hours, about every 3rd time it will not start after "normal length" of cranking and requires multiple key cycles to get it started. When it does not start, the injectors are not precycling or they sound weak. I bought an AE scanner and am getting the dreaded P0611 FICM Performance code, P1378 FICM System Voltage Low along, and P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient.

I measured the voltage on the FICM while cranking and it never went below 48V and while the engine is running it did not go below 48V. I ran an injector buzz test and I do not know enough of what I am doing to understand it-- it seemed like the #1 injector was the only one that "buzzed" and the others just did like a single "click". Not sure what that means or if I heard it correctly.

When I was measuring the FICM voltage, the injectors sounded like they were precycling correctly... so could it be that my FICM is on its way out and I just happened to measure the voltage when it was behaving? The previous owner said the FICM was replaced on warranty about a year ago. Other than the starting problem, I have not noticed any issues with it.

I am thinking it is not glow plug related since I am in a warm climate and the starting problem is not limited to the first start of the day.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas of what direction to go next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 01:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

since you have ae i would datalog as much info as possible and post it up here. that will help to get your problem nailed down.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am finally back with some data. The truck went quite a while without the starting problem but it is pretty consistent again so I was able to capture it with AE. Attached is the data from a no start situation. Is the battery voltage of 11.44 low enough to cause the 40 V FICM or is that normal battery voltage during cranking?

Since my last post I ran a cylinder contribution test. There was no more than about 50 rpm difference from any cylinder and AE said it passed. I also ran an injector buzz test and AE said it passed and it sounded consistent.

Typically the hard start is when it is cold but it has done it when it is warm so I have not been chasing down the glow plug path.

P0611 shows up on the scan but has not triggered the light yet, recently; but has in the past.

Are there some other directions I should explore before pulling the trigger on a new FICM?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Ford-PowerStroke 6.0L-2006-February 07 2011.txt (622 Bytes, 66 views)
Old 02-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like your having the typical FICM low voltage problems. The voltage should not drop below 47.5 volts while cranking. If it drops to 40 you can probably get the FICM repaired. Just dont let it go too long then it causes major damage to intenal components.
Repair Ford FICM Module
Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply a2elvis!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:52 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yes, your low battery condition could definitely contribute to this problem. Sounds like you have both problems-dead/low battery and dying FICM. Get the batteries checked out while you are at it.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Premium Member

Happy to help LeftCoast if the battery voltage was 11.44 while cranking that might be normal, but Shawn is right have the battery checked just to be safe.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, i will look into the batteries too. I went back and looked at the data from it starting correctly when cold and the battery voltage is typically around 11.5 while cranking.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am back with the same problem (not quite as bad) after replacing the FICM with a Swamps 58V. I can still hear that the injectors are not precycling when it will not start (the first start of the day or after sitting for a few hours). Every time I have gotten the AE hooked up to do data logging, the engine will start- And I notice the injectors are cycling.

When does inductive heating take place? Key On Engine Off? If so that makes perfect sense that I have injector stiction-- as I am getting AE connected and set up the key is on for a good 5 minutes.

I ran a buzz test right after a no start condition and heard nothing... but after being warmed up, the buzz test sounds OK.

I am getting a P0611 and P1378 code. Could stiction cause these codes?

One more bit of information, after a hard start, it runs a little rough for 10 secs or so before clearing up. After an easy start if runs fine.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hook up a battery charger to the passenger side battery and try to start it like normal after sitting all night. Don't charge the batteries. Hook it up and start it right away. If it starts up like it should replace the batteries. This is how I figured mine out. Was doing the same thing as yours. No issues since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.