Up-Pipe / Y-Pipe leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Up-Pipe / Y-Pipe leak

Since I've owned my truck, I suspected that I had an exhaust leak under the hood. I haven't reached my hand up in there to feel around the various joints, but I am "assuming" that it's the flex joint on the y-pipe. I assume that because the leak was present before the turbo was removed for the first time in May of this year and I have smelled exhaust in the cab since I bought the truck used in 2008. I am planning on fixing this in the spring of 2011, but I do have some questions.

This is my first and only powerstroke I have no baseline experience. Would the exhaust leak be responsible for any of the following concerns that I have:

1. Exhaust smell in the truck (kind of a no brainer on this one)

2. Maximum boost on the insight gauge shows 21 psi

3. Sluggish take off *when warm* no way will this truck spin the tires.

4. Cold start issues (FICM was just checked 47.9V key on engine off, 48.1 engine running 48 degrees ambient) Rev-X cured this last year.

5. Louder under hood engine noise that I have seen on other power strokes

6. I do hear a ticking sound under the hood. I could have an injector issue (see #4).

I am planning on fixing the issue in the spring, but purchasing a new y-pipe, and I am told that the pipe which connects to the EGR cooler doesn't often fail at the flex joint (not that it isn't the issue, I will check all of that).

Oh, it's a stock 2003 6.0 Rotella T5 (changing to T6 on Sunday for the winter)

Last edited by nylyon; 11-18-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Karl,
I would agree with your assessment that most all of those symptoms sound like a broken flex joint. It may be your y-pipe or it could also be your up-pipe (which you mention), which I would suspect first given the low amount of boost and in my experience is far more common. It is also easier to check since there is a little bit more room.

PS. The y-pipes were prone to failures on the 7.3's since they didn't have a bellows to allow them to flex, which caused cracking and breaking.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
Since I've owned my truck, I suspected that I had an exhaust leak under the hood. I haven't reached my hand up in there to feel around the various joints, but I am "assuming" that it's the flex joint on the y-pipe. I assume that because the leak was present before the turbo was removed for the first time in May of this year and I have smelled exhaust in the cab since I bought the truck used in 2008. I am planning on fixing this in the spring of 2011, but I do have some questions.

This is my first and only powerstroke I have no baseline experience. Would the exhaust leak be responsible for any of the following concerns that I have:

1. Exhaust smell in the truck (kind of a no brainer on this one)
YES

2. Maximum boost on the insight gauge shows 21 psi
YES

3. Sluggish take off *when warm* no way will this truck spin the tires.
YES

4. Cold start issues (FICM was just checked 47.9V key on engine off, 48.1 engine running 48 degrees ambient) Rev-X cured this last year.
Sticking injector(s). Requires diagnosis using Ford's IDS with the power balance screen loaded up during cold engine start-up to pinpoint.

5. Louder under hood engine noise that I have seen on other power strokes
YES

6. I do hear a ticking sound under the hood. I could have an injector issue (see #4).
It depends on the type of "ticking". Without actually hearing it, I don't want to comment on what it might, or might not be.

I am planning on fixing the issue in the spring, but purchasing a new y-pipe, and I am told that the pipe which connects to the EGR cooler doesn't often fail at the flex joint (not that it isn't the issue, I will check all of that).
The right side y-pipe is what fails most frequently on F-Series. I have only ever replaced one right side EGR cooler flex pipe on a very high mileage E-Series.

Oh, it's a stock 2003 6.0 Rotella T5 (changing to T6 on Sunday for the winter)
Answers are in bold red.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Interesting observations. Looks like I was wrong concerning the up-pipe.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Answers are in bold red.

The right side y-pipe is what fails most frequently on F-Series. I have only ever replaced one right side EGR cooler flex pipe on a very high mileage E-Series.
You do mean left side Y pipe right, the one which is the difficult one to replace.

Thank you for the replies, now I'm looking forward to the spring. Since replacing the oil cooler twice and aside from this exhaust leak and possible related concerns, this is such a great truck, and I have had no other issues with it. Of course the cold start issue is probably a sticky injector or 2, but we'll get there....

Edit: And I hope that this doesn't become near the adventure the oil cooler was

Last edited by nylyon; 11-18-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
You do mean left side Y pipe right, the one which is the difficult one to replace.
You are correct, I meant to say DRIVER side y-pipe. My mind was a little off. I was in the middle of buttoning up an E-Series for both coolers when I replied. Sorry.

Quote:
Thank you for the replies, now I'm looking forward to the spring. Since replacing the oil cooler twice and aside from this exhaust leak and possible related concerns, this is such a great truck, and I have had no other issues with it. Of course the cold start issue is probably a sticky injector or 2, but we'll get there....
No offense intended, but I honestly don't know how you can call it a GREAT truck with the issues you've been having. To tell you the truth, every time I get one these trucks in when they're out of warranty, I cringe at the thought of what the customer has to pay for my services, to repair their truck.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

is there an aftermarket pipe? i cant believe the price on the pipe from ford.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
No offense intended, but I honestly don't know how you can call it a GREAT truck with the issues you've been having. To tell you the truth, every time I get one these trucks in when they're out of warranty, I cringe at the thought of what the customer has to pay for my services, to repair their truck.
No offense taken. Although I have had a problematic oil cooler, and a possible crack in the y-pipe, I bought the truck for cheap, it drives beautiful, pulls hard and hasn't left me stranded yet. I grew up in a family who owned a trucking company. Maintaining vehicles is important, and repairs on heavy service vehicles are expensive. Now, I'm sure if I wasn't able to perform the labor myself, I might not feel the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.