Compression Ignition Addict
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brewster, NY
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Up-Pipe / Y-Pipe leak
Since I've owned my truck, I suspected that I had an exhaust leak under the hood. I haven't reached my hand up in there to feel around the various joints, but I am "assuming" that it's the flex joint on the y-pipe. I assume that because the leak was present before the turbo was removed for the first time in May of this year and I have smelled exhaust in the cab since I bought the truck used in 2008. I am planning on fixing this in the spring of 2011, but I do have some questions.
This is my first and only powerstroke I have no baseline experience. Would the exhaust leak be responsible for any of the following concerns that I have:
1. Exhaust smell in the truck (kind of a no brainer on this one)
2. Maximum boost on the insight gauge shows 21 psi
3. Sluggish take off *when warm* no way will this truck spin the tires.
4. Cold start issues (FICM was just checked 47.9V key on engine off, 48.1 engine running 48 degrees ambient) Rev-X cured this last year.
5. Louder under hood engine noise that I have seen on other power strokes
6. I do hear a ticking sound under the hood. I could have an injector issue (see #4).
I am planning on fixing the issue in the spring, but purchasing a new y-pipe, and I am told that the pipe which connects to the EGR cooler doesn't often fail at the flex joint (not that it isn't the issue, I will check all of that).
Oh, it's a stock 2003 6.0 Rotella T5 (changing to T6 on Sunday for the winter)
2003 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat PSD 6.0 Automatic FX4 Edge Insight with EGT Probe. Coolant Filter. All 6.0's need gauges
Member Team Max
Last edited by nylyon; 11-18-2010 at 08:04 AM.