testing glow plugs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
testing glow plugs

Hey guys I was woundering what is the easiest way to test the glow plugs in my 6.0l. And are the glow plows under the valve cover or on the outside of it? it was only 28 here today and i didn't want to start this morning

Thanks Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 03:10 PM

check for DTCs first. usually if you have a bad glow plug, it will throw a DTC, but may not set the check engine light. Glow plugs are outside the valve cover. Takes about 20-30 minutes to change out the driver side, labor guide says 4 hours for the passenger side, all depends on motivation i guess lol. Also check your glow plug relay. They are pretty common on these engines and fairly easy to test. Connect a test light between the battery and the big terminal on the relay that the battery cable is going to. With the key on, engine off, the test light should illuminate. Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:45 PM

Yes it helps thanks for the response I found in the tech section how to test them. I didn't know if a glow plug was bad if it would throw a code so I will scan it. But also I didn't think th 6.0l had a glow plug relay do you know where it is? but now that i think about it last fall I had the same problem and it was the FICM so i will test that too. But I don't know if I'm going to try and fix it my self or not my boss works on little sewer cameras so i think he can solder it for me
Thanks Jeff
Old 11-14-2010, 02:09 AM

Something to bear in mind is a glow plug can test out ok electricaly but still not be working correctly. Heavy carbon buildup on the electrode will rob the efficentcy of the plug. Most of the heat generated will be absorbed by the carbon and will not reach the cylinder and block.

I recomend pulling and cleaning glow plugs at least once a year if the truck idles a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.