Cracked 6.0L heads - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 01:40 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cracked 6.0L heads

Hey guys. Im doing another 6.0L head gasket/stud install, but this one has a twist. Both heads are cracked between the glow plug port and intake valve on atleast 1 cylinder each. Im told from the machine shop after magnafluxing. I have to go down and pick them up yet, so I haven't seen them myself. Just wondering how many of you all have run across this before and what was the least expensive means of obtaining replacement heads? It was too late to get prices on OEM units from Ford, but I have been told this is the best resource? The engine is an 04. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's fairly common unfortunately. You'll either have to get them used/remaned, new from Ford or new from International. This is the best price I've found new: Tousley Ford Parts Depot
Old 10-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

6.0L PS part out

i have 2 6.0 power stroke heads im selling. i did a motor job for a friend and i have the old motor with most everything still good. you can call or pm me my # is 903 431 0570.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:45 AM

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 AM

And the drama continues....I purchased new heads from International yesterday and opened the box, all looks fine. I installed the studs, gaskets, heads and rocker assembly ....and then....here we go.....the rocker arm carrier assembly fasteners do not have any thread bosses to thread into in the new heads. As per TSI #07-12-04, the bulletin states discarding 6 of the previously used 8 bolts! Is this for real??? Anybody see this before? I have the pics, but its such a PITA to load them. If needed I can provide. Thanks guys.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 PM

Although its too late now....my heads were cracked just the same.. the machinist told me it was normal, he said i could buy new heads but they will crack just the same, he recommended put them back on 40k on them since stud job and everythings fine.. i guess if it not too late, send the new ones back.. good luck!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker0560 View Post
Although its too late now....my heads were cracked just the same.. the machinist told me it was normal, he said i could buy new heads but they will crack just the same, he recommended put them back on 40k on them since stud job and everythings fine.. i guess if it not too late, send the new ones back.. good luck!
Thanks for your response. I actually installed those heads last night and should be lowering the cab today or tomorrow depending on the amount of customers coming to the shop today. Im still concernedwith the new design and the omission of the thread bosses. I was told by the "parts" guy at Navistar, the new casting design is supposed to be stronger than the old design??? IDK....I guess if anyone should know, it should be the dealer right? The other trucks I did, did not have cracked heads. Even the 2005 with the overheat of 300+ degrees. I guess we shall see.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:39 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
So you put the cracked heads back on

I've got diesel in my coolant so I got a cracked head. Did he repair the head, or what was done?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftkr View Post
So you put the cracked heads back on

I've got diesel in my coolant so I got a cracked head. Did he repair the head, or what was done?
Yup, no repairs, nothing you can do... there tiny cracks from the injector hole to the glow plug hole, or maybe it was glow plug hole to the nearest valve, i dont remeber, it doesnt pretrude anything and really doesnt cause any problems. it can only be seen under magnafluxing.. never had any problems,

Ive only heard of one other 6.0 getting diesel in the coolant and it happens to be my buddies truck, he just had injectors put in and a week later his coolant bottle was over flowing with diesel. i had heard it was a cracked injector sleeve.. or "injector cup" i have not verified this.. what was your cause??
Old 12-15-2010, 07:11 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Yup, no repairs, nothing you can do... there tiny cracks from the injector hole to the glow plug hole, or maybe it was glow plug hole to the nearest valve, i dont remeber, it doesnt pretrude anything and really doesnt cause any problems. it can only be seen under magnafluxing.. never had any problems,

Ive only heard of one other 6.0 getting diesel in the coolant and it happens to be my buddies truck, he just had injectors put in and a week later his coolant bottle was over flowing with diesel. i had heard it was a cracked injector sleeve.. or "injector cup" i have not verified this.. what was your cause??
On the 7.3's it was common for the injector cup to go bad and cause fuel in the coolant. However I've been looking into it and it's not the case on the 6.0. There is an o ring that would hold the coolant and or fuel out on the 6.0 if the cup failed. However the coolant jacket is in the right place should there be a crack. Funny thing is I have been driving the truck and it runs fine, just got fuel in my coolant. And now that I've found it I wonder how long it's been like that....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.