6.0 losing fuel prime - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 06:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 losing fuel prime

hey guys so i finally got my truck running right or so i thought parked it at 5pm friday and just tried to drive it home from a buddys house. today sunday i had to do a few things before going home drove it maybe 4 miles after lettin it warm up for 10 minutes it stalled so i pulled over and cranked it for a bit and it fired up but ran ruff i made it another 2 mile with it barely running i got maybe 25 mph outta her then it died again so i walked home got my other truck and the wifes brother and drove to tow it home well i brought a socked and a rachet with me and pulled the secondary fuel filter to see if it was fuel or electrical as to why it wouldnt run and the fuel bowl was empty truck has 3/4 tank of fuel in it so i had him cycle the key and the fuel bowl filled right up so i tighted it up and him turn the key off i heard a hissing sound so i think maybe something is cracked well the truck fired up and i drove it another 3 miles home anyone with any knowledge of why this would happen i think maybe the secondary cap needs replacing or the fuel pump is taken a crap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

That fuel system on the truck is all under pressure from the fuel pump up to the motor. It sounds to me like you are getting combustion gasses in your fuel. You need to remove the secondary fuel filter and fill the housing with clean fuel and then unplug the fuel pump. Then have a friend crank the truck while you watch for bubbles in the fuel bowl. If you get bubbles then you need to isolate which bank it is. This is done by what is called a balloon test. If you did not get bubbles in the last step the balloon test is not necessary. To perform the balloon test simply remove the fuel lines at the fuel filter that run from the fuel filter down to the cylinder head. Then slip a rubber glove or a balloon over then end of the line and zip tie it to secure it. Then crank it over and see if you get pulses in the glove. The one that gets the pulses is the culprit bank. Then you just simply have to remove all 4 glow plugs and install one glow plug back into one cylinder at a time and crank it to see if the glove pulses. The cylinders that pulse are the ones that need to have the injectors removed and inspected for burned o-rings and copper washer. If the copper washer is intact and unburned then you need an injector. If the copper washer is burned off then you need a injector o-ring kit and a new injector hold down.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:38 PM

thanks ill check that out and see what happens
Old 10-11-2010, 04:03 PM

well i checked the bubbles with the pump unplugged and raw fuel put in the fuel bowl and i didnt get any bubbles at all the truck will run now but wont rev over 2500 rpm and dont like to stay running once in gear but it will sit and idel all day long sometimes really smooth sometimes kinda ruff i tried to connect it to a scan tool and it said no communication i checked all the fuses they all check out good so i guess im gonna bite a bullet ive never bite with any car or truck ive ever owned and take it to the dealership this week
Old 10-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Okay. If you want a scanner that everyone on here raves about there is a product called Autoenginuity. Autoenginuity If you order the software and aren't afraid to get down and dirty then I can help you diagnose your truck over the internet. I've done it before for other members on here. My guess is that your scan tool is not CAN network compliant which is what is needed for the 6.0.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:07 PM

thanks man i have a snap on scanner now but i will get a autoenginiuty or maybe trade my older scanner in on a motus but i own all ford products anyhow. will the motus do the job or should i go with the ae i work on all kinds of gas engines so i know i can do the work myself im not afraid of it id like to think of myself as gifted with a wrench i just am not to smart on these old 6.0 but ive never owned a truck that has road so good and had so much power ill do whatever it takes to fix it haha
Old 10-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I don't know much about the Snap-on scanners. We have the Ford IDS at work so I haven't used a Snap-on scanner since tech school. I can ask my Snap-on dealer about it, but he may or may not know.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:34 PM

we and the wife just talked bout the ae scanner and probably will just order one she has a 2000 mustang with a supercharged 4.6 and she likes to work on it herself and figures she could use the ae software i appreciate all the help and thanks for standing behind the troops we are a military family are selves i dont serve myself but my wife is active duty air force im just lucky she got stationed at her home base in battle creek
Old 10-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke Techie

My 19 yo brother is in the Marines. He is stationed in Yuma Arizona working as a helicopter mechanic. I also have a cousin in the marines who is stationed on an aircraft carrier. I don't remember which one.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:54 PM

i scanned the truck again and came up with iat out of range and p1703 brake pressure switch out of self test range and egr codes then i had a cmp sensor communication code dont remember the numbers i replaced the cam sensor it ran great for about 20 minutes now it will run just has no power again everything else looked good past buzz test on all injectors i need to do a contribution test still but im back to scratchin my head
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
nick49001

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.