Oil leak help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil leak help

2006 ford f450 6.0 turbo

Ive got a truck at work which had a substantial oil leak in the valley of the engine. I ended up rebuilding the oil cooler, now on startup i notice another oil leak. Its coming down from above the power steering pump, the valley of the engine is now free of oil.

Any ideas where its coming from? Im going to take out the fan and radiator and try running it to hopefully see the leak with more visability. I do havedye already in the oil.

Was lot of work already fixing the cooler body leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Probably oil filter houseing or one of the lines. It may also be fuel diluteing engine grime, looks a lot like oil just thinner. Altho could be front cover as well.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well oil filter housing also had its orings etc changed.

The manifold doesnt need to be touched to do the front engine cover does it?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I highly recomend you find the exact cause of the leak first before you pull that cover. You are fixing to get into one hell of a job. Not from removeing the cover, it is the getting to it thats a chore.

The intake will not need removal but the filter houseing, fan and shroud is where the work comes in. ya can't pull the shroud without pulling the fan and ya can't get the fan out without pulling the shroud unless ya remove the radiator.

Now if ya don't mind bending over double for several hours ya do not need to pull the front clip, bumper, charge air cooler or a/c condensor.

Once the shroud (stator) is out the way you can use a combination of removeing bolts from the top then crawl under and remove the bottom half the bolts. You may need to drop the front end of the oil pan but I do not remember for shure. I believe ya can leave the water pump on the cover altho there may be four bolts going all the way thru.

Good luck on this one.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well im a have at it tomorrow, my boss is pushing me to get this done. I already took out the radiator to rebuild the oil cooler, as it was leaking oil from the gaskets. Only got water in there so no problem, problem is the atf lines cant come out even with the tool. I unscewed the fitting last time and used pipe fittings to reinstall them with the gasket o ring lined up.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just did all this work on mine. I was able to remove the shroud and fan without touching the radiator left it in the whole time. You have to undo the big bolt on the fan. But you can work in there just unbloting the shroud.

I had a oil leak also. I forgot to replace the bolt that has an o ring in it, on the bottom of the plate that the oil cooler bolts to. It is where the bolt in the 8 oclock position is that bolts down the oil filter housing. Does that make any since. I had a Baaad leak.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im not sure what o ring it is you speak of, but if it was in the oil cooler rebuild kit, then im sure i didnt forget to put it on.

Im hoping I can get the front engine cover back on without loosening the intake manifold. As that big O ring compresses when you put the manifold on. Now I need to compress it from underneath putting the cover back on, the dowel will probably make me have to loosen the intake manifold up though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.