Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

still wierd vaccum noise

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  LegitLogan 
#1 ·
So I have posted on here before about this loud vacumm noise I get ever now and then. I really get it when I am pulling but I also get it when just driving around. It also will get louder the more I accelerate. It will do it for about 10-30 sec and then quit. I have checked the intake for leaks and didint find anything. I also checked the charge pipe ( Not sure if this would cause it or not) but didnt find anything. Any other ideas?

#2 ·
yep...mine too

I have an 03' and it is also making that vaccum noise and overheating real fast. I am taking it to a shop this weekend, so ill let you know.

#4 ·
I have the same problem right now, and today found oil in my coolant. I'm suspecting its the cooling fan kicking in or something. My guess is my oil temps spiking bc of the failure to the cooler and the fan kicking in? I'm going to take mine to the dealer tomorrow.

#5 ·
I have the same problem right now, and today found oil in my coolant. I'm suspecting its the cooling fan kicking in or something. My guess is my oil temps spiking bc of the failure to the cooler and the fan kicking in? I'm going to take mine to the dealer tomorrow

Is your truck overheating? My temp is fine but I just get that wierd vaccum noise every now and then. Let me know what you find out.

#6 ·
Can you describe the noise? Is it more kinda of like a low pitch whistle? I might be having the same issue. Mine does it when I accelerate and let off the pedal. Sometimes it does it right after I turn my truck off..:dunno:

#7 ·
i have a whistle that i get when i get on the throttle its a low pitch whistle along with the usual turbo whine. so definatly please post up what you figure out. definatly check that the turbo vanes are working correctly and all because the whistle could be out of the turbo.

#10 ·
I thought that may be it also but does the fan run more rpm when the engine is running more rpm? Because the noise gets louder with engine rpm. Also the gauges dont show anything getting hot either.:dunno: So when they did your egr delete and oil cooler it took care of it?

#11 ·
Just got truck back from dealer. Said they couldnt find anything. Checked head gaskets, egr and oil cooler and said they found nothing. Drove truck with scanner on and said all temps were fine. They said it is normal for the fan to kick on like this and the reason it is so loud is because it is hydraulic. Said I shouldnt worry about fan kicking on like this. Any comments on that statement:dunno:

#12 ·
Have 2006 PSD and mine does it in the summertime or if I let it idle too long, but I live Texas it gets pretty hot & humid..

#13 ·
Mine ended up having a broken water cooler, oil cooler, and a worn fan belt. The dealer said a plastic fan from the water cooler broke off and went through the engine...that's why mine overheated quick, which turned the 'vaccum noise' fan on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.