Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2003 F250 6.0 Died, no-start

10K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  mcrazy30 
#1 · (Edited)
F250 6.0 2003, Truck has 236,000 miles. Noticed loss of power topping a hill at 70 mph or so, next smaller hill, wouldn't make it up hill, but would still idle, but not rev up past idle, then died, no start. Buddy pulled me home, starts next morning when cold, only revs to 1000 or so, idles a bit, then dies, then no start. No start now, but seems to want to, with some cranking it gets to a sort of higher than usual cranking speed no start, sounds like a cylinder or two are hitting, but still no start.

Oil looks good, it was changed 2,000 miles ago.

Replaced fuel filters (I was a little past due, but not much).

Replaced air filter.

All injectors were replaced at 200,000. miles.

Checked fuel flow to top filter - good flow, no air or water visible in fuel.

Suspected pump, but pump running sounds normal.
Checked fuel pressure at top test port and got 48 psi.

It's not setting a check engine light, I don't have a scanner to look for codes.

I appreciate the great no-start writeup sticky, but was wondering if, based on description of problem, someone here might have some advice on what would be good to check next?

I don't have any diesel repair experience, but do have lots of other maintenance experience.

I don't have a scanner (as mentioned) or any special tools for this truck. Do Have a Fluke 77 and am proficient with it.

Any suggestions? Should I send it on to the shop? Buy a scanner? (Anyone rent those? (Questionable whether I can afford to send to shop, but I also can't really afford to be without the truck for any extended period either, too much work to do to stay afloat!).

Thanks for any help.

Tex

PS: On edit, my problem sounds a lot like Droopies' Excursion!

See less See more
#3 ·
It does sound like the HPOP system has failed, when mine failed it would run but not start or idle(had to ether it to start it).

Since yours slowly died and now wont run at all It sounds like yours failed differently.

You can test the low pressure oil system by taking the oil cap and filter off, having somebody crank and see if the bowl fills up(dont crank for long!). I'm sure there is a way to test the high-pressure system as well, but I cant recall how.

Good luck!

#4 ·
sense the injectors are fairly new i would assume that the o-rings would still be in good shape. the oil filter housing doesn't always fill with oil while cranking with the cap off due to the filter drain valve at the bottom thats opened when the pressure is released from the filter. If it were me i would get it on a good scanner ford, mac or auto enginuity and monitor the pressures on the high pressure oil system while cranking. if you don't have any access to a scanner there are a couple things you can try without it although on the 03 with the icp sensor on the hpop its not easy.. first pull the plug on the icp and see if there is any oil in the plug itself the icp on the 03 is bad about failing do to its location and the heat that builds up back there. if the icp looks to be OK pull the IPR and look at the screen on the end of the valve if the screen has a hole in the middle of it you probably got some trash in it you maybe able to take the IPR apart and clean it i know you can on the 7.3 but have never tried it on a 6.0. if the IPR looks ok then i would then lean towards the SCT fitting thats beside the hpop under the cover or the hpop itself.

I hope this is of some help wish i could do more but Dallas is 6hrs me and I'm not planning a trip up that way anytime soon that i know of

#5 ·
one more thing pull the radiator cap off the degas bottle and make sure you don't have any oil in there if your oil cooler failed it can allow coolant into the hpop and also cause a no start situation

#6 ·
Thanks y'all for the help. I forgot to mention, had ICP replaced 6 mos. ago.
I'm liking the idea about getting a scanner on it. In the past I was able to limp over to a buddies' but he's a full time pro, and I don't want to borrow his equipment.

Is there a way to get a reasonably priced scanner that'll do anything I'd need on this 2003? Like, can I shop for an older Mac and get a good deal on it, or does that kind of deal exist? Maybe they just keep udating the software and keys, so you don't see these for sale as older units?

I tried looking for oil pressure on the gage while cranking for a good bit, gage doesn't move up at all / showing no engine oil pressure.

I gotta say, I love this truck, bought it new and put all 236,000 miles on it myself, about the only real repair its needed was the injectors at 200,000. Lots of those miles pulling 14k gooseneck at max., so she doesn't really owe me anything.

#7 ·
#8 ·
I am having the same exact issue with my 03... My local performance diesel shop said to test the FICM however i havent had time to touch the truck because i am in the Navy and out to sea A LOT! Anyone think that it might be the FICM or should i skip that and look into just replacing the HPOP and associated seals and such? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-JON

#10 ·
not a problem i have one it's a very good tool to have when working on these 6.0's

#12 ·
i know the advanced auto parts by my house loans out scanners that plug in to the odb ii port, but only let u go to the parking lot.. just leave your I.D. but if leave a deposite or talk to them about it u might be able to borrow it for an hour or 2

#13 ·
hey stroked777.......dont debate between sct or bullydog, do u and ur truck a favor and go with SCT!

#14 ·
wont start????

Alright 2003 F250 6.0L, here are the problems that lead to the No starting issue. 1 month before this started the Pulley on the water pump broke, didnt over heat. pulled it over got a new water pump and pulley and belt on it. Then rough start and I mean rough. had to let it Idle for 15-20 before I could drive it. got it to work one day and wouldnt start. Pulled the codes replaced the cam timing sensor didnt work. Towed it to the house, pulled another code, pulled EGR solinoid cleaned it off put it back in, truck fired right up. Blew out white smoke for alittle bit. Took it out on the high way to open it up, ran like a raped ape, awsome fixed, no white smoke The next day went out Nothing, no start. Cleaned EGR again and nothing, checked for oil in the anifreeze, it was good. I have oil pressure while cranking so it isnt the HPOP. Not getting any codes. I haven't replaced any injectors it has 178,000. But if it was injectors wouldn't it throw codes? Oh and Im at a loss any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Dealer is always last option for me.

#15 ·
actually, here's what i got about your inquiry, i hope that this may add to your idea why does it happened in your car, The 2003 and early 2004 had real problems with their HPOP (high pressure oil pumps). The oil rails on the injectors don't have issues and how the pump was connected to the branch tube wasn't an issue either they just had crappy pumps (Made of aluminum) Then mid 04 they redesigned and the pump is good (cast Iron)...... But then introduced a different way of connecting it to the branch tube and that is a real issue. hope that this gives a little explanation why that happened.

#16 ·
still no start

If it was the HPOP, I wouldnt have pressure on my oil pressure guage while trying to start it correct? I have oil pressure. If I am not correct then I need to replace it......Its turning into an eye sore sitting in the drive way and im getting ready to deploy. Any suggestions would help. Dealer is always last option and im not there just yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.