bad turbo bad! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2006, 01:46 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry bad turbo bad!

Just for other folk's info. Two weeks ago driving down the highway 65 mph lost all boost no noise, nothing on the gauge, no power. Let it sit overnight...same thing..next day tapped vgt valve with screw driver and checked connections boost came back. (I dunno if coincidence?)seemed ok though, of course engine light stayed on. Took to dealer to reset ,had codes p0299 p2263 p1266 after extensive testing including checking resistance of vgt solinoid dealer ordered complete turbo assy. and installed next day dunno if it really needed it but runs great now. truck has 8000 miles would be interested in your thoughts Marc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
What year you running?
Old 04-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My 05' did the same thing 2 weeks ago, let it sit overnite and in the morning on the way to the dealer it was fine...hasnt happened again. I've got 52,000 on mine...maybe just the air in NY
Old 04-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Banned

honestly the majority of turbo failures i see are due to carbon in the turbo vaine system that actually allows the vains to open and close more. some just fail, and there is nothing you can do to prevent or predict it. Most i replace are actually on soccer mom excursions and old guy superduties that dont get on the throttle enough. these motors need to get opened up every once in a while and driving them really easy is actually tougher on the motor as a whole than driving it at a "medium level" most of the time and then sometimes driving it like you stole it just to run the carbon out and keep it clean. the turbo system is the biggest benifactor of doing this.

i honestly have only replaced two VGT's that actually fixed a problem. i have, under the instruction of ford tech hotline, replaced many VGT's.....but i came to the conclusion long ago that it is rare that they actually are the problem. odds are when you tapped on the VGT, you actually freed up some of the carbon in that turbo and that is why it came back slightly for a short period of time............Marc
Old 04-23-2006, 03:24 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

She's an '06 and is anything but babied have had her bumping the speed limiter on several occasions (95) and worked her pretty good hauling wood and towing in her short 8000 miles according to the dealer they've had quite a run on turbo's lately
Old 04-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Banned

we have seen some just fail.......its pretty unpredicatable though and there is no way to really prevent it if it is driven normal to hard.......
Old 04-23-2006, 03:39 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

I was just throwing it out there for others who may have or had the same problem. Hell I don't care got a brand new one I just don't like guy's tinkering with my truck if it's not necessary though i must say i'm a stickler and they really did a hell of a job gotta be kinda a beepbeepbeepbeepbeep to change anyway what are those codes ?
Old 04-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Banned

p0299 is turbo underboost, 2263 is turbocharger performance not at expected, 1266 is not in the code list and i would have to research it further if you were really curious......but im sure it is a turbo performance code also.....Marc
Old 04-23-2006, 04:10 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Thanks bub..appreciate it no need to look the other one up. If i'm ever down your way or you're up here I owe ya a beer my friend
Old 04-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Banned

not a big deal man.....this is kinda like a family.......we all help each other out and it all ends up being even in the end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.