6.0 Spot question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Spot question

Hey I have a question, as to it's urgency I am not sure. I have a 2006 F-250 PSD with just over 2300 miles on it. I was checking the oil and crawling under it when I noticed something. I have what looks like an oil streak on the back side of the engine in front of the bell housing. It would be a small spot on my garage floor. Is this normal? I am a newbie to this and am just making sure something isn't going wrong or that I have one of the 6 OH's out there. My oil on the dipstick is clean and full.
I know in the owners manual it said consumption is normal between oil changes. Or is this residual buildup from owning a diesel...Please help.
Thanks,
Shane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Banned

the best rule of thumb to follow on oil residue on diesels is if it isnt hitting the ground.....its not a problem.......Marc
Old 04-22-2006, 05:20 PM

I am not sure if it is hitting the ground or not. I am going to put a piece of cardboard under it tonight. If it is, should I schedule an appointment or wait until my first scheduled oil change? I mean it isn't much. I am not sure if the spot is from my PSD or from when I park my 1993 Explorer in there when the truck is out. I know the Explorer has a slight drip (at 150000 miles I am not concerned about the Explorer).
Thanks
Shane
Old 04-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Banned

please update your signature so we know what vehicle you have. i didnt realize yours was a low milage 06........clean the heck out of it with the pressure washer at a car wash. pay particularly close attention to the area under the turbo. i would put money on it your motor is not leaking. they had a bunch of 06's that didnt get the assembly lube from the turbo instilation cleaned off........it looks identical to used motor oil but it didnt come out of the motor. it got dumped on top of the block and it actually is enough oil to look like a pretty good leak sometimes but it isnt...........Marc
Old 04-23-2006, 07:08 AM

these engines have a series of drain channels that lead junk from the top of the engine block and down the back by the bell housing...so it sounds like you might have a small leak on the top of the engine...like marc said...this is often the turbo... good luck

wes
Old 04-23-2006, 12:33 PM

Thanks for replying so quick guys. I went and cleaned it up today and am going to monitor my garage floor very carefully over the next few weeks. I check my oil at every fill up and haven't noticed any consumption. That's what was baffeling me when I noticed this streak/drip on the bell housing. I will keep you all updated as to what I find.
Thanks,
Shane
Old 06-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Banned

did cleaning it up fix it....or did you end up with a leak......just curious.......Marc
Old 06-04-2006, 11:28 PM

Just an update. I cleaned it all up and haven't seen anything to date. I am making an appointment for my first oil change and will have my dealership double check everything.
I have been monitoring it very closely and haven't seen anything of concern again.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.