oil cooler again? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil cooler again?

i was really praying my 6.0 would hold together after all the $$$$$$$ i have sank into this P.O.S. in the past few months but here we go again my info is as follows. 2006 f350 lariat the hpop, ipr, oil cooler, icp, and egr delete were all installed new about 4 months 8,000 miles ago. i pulled it into my driveway and killed the engine while i was working on my 7.3 walked back by the 6.0 about 20 mins later and noticed a puddle of antifreeze with an oil film floating on top of it!!! So i popped the hood and found that i have a pin hole or small crack in the degas bottle removed the cap and found I once again have oil in my degas bottle. It's not as bad as it was when the oil cooler blew. i started the engine back up and let it sit and idle about 45 mins then rechecked the oil in the degas and it haden't gained any is it possible that i didn't get all the oil out of the cooling system after the new oil cooler was installed and i'm just now noticing it? or do i need to park the truck till i can afford yet another oil cooler? i did hook it up to my AE computer and the oil temp is running 193 and the coolant temp is running 195 and every time i monitor the temps they haven't been over 198 they stay within 5 degrees of each other.

please give me some good news here guys with my 7.3 dead at the moment this is my only ride.. sorry for the long post but its all the info i could think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 09:09 AM

When you flushed your system did you open your heater valve so it flushed the heater core also. Did you remove the thermostat while flushing? Exactly what method did you use for the flush and what product? Did you flush while running the engine or was it off?

Are you shure about those temps? The coolant should be cooler than the oil or you are not getting any heat exchange takeing place.
The coolant is supposed to draw heat away from the oil thats kinda hard to do when the coolant is hotter than the oil.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:04 PM

i might have had the temps backwards and when i flushed it i used cascade mixed with distilled water did not pull the thermostat and the heater valve was probably shut
Old 08-07-2010, 04:39 PM

Before ya spend any money on a cooler try flushing again but completely open the system so the mix goes thru the entire system. Sometimes it takes several flushes.

When final flushing I take loose the upper radiator hose put a water hose in the radiator opening and tie off the hose and run the engine while feeding the radiator with clean water. I do this for about 20 minutes. Makes a heck of a mess and ain't exactly EPA approved. But it gets it all out. By the way I use a product called Purple Power or mean and green.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:14 PM

i have a gallon of mean green I'll try that i hope that's all it is the egr delete was supposed to help prevent this problem
Old 08-09-2010, 04:07 PM

EGR delete doesn't do anything to prevent oil cooler failure. Oil coolers failing cause the EGR cooler to fail.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:19 PM

You could've had the oil residue from a long time ago, aslong as more doesn't appear, leave it alone.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:22 PM

Update on the truck the oil cooler is fine I flushed it out and no new oil has appeared I did start having an overheating problem new Degas bottle and thermostat didn't fix it. Ended up finding out the fan ate the wires going to my fan clutch. Fixed that running cool again all is good for now. Not really sure why but after overheating the engine twice its running smoother than it has in a long time. Hope it stays that way. ..

Thanks for the help guys
Old 08-13-2010, 11:23 PM

Update on the truck the oil cooler is fine I flushed it out and no new oil has appeared I did start having an overheating problem new Degas bottle and thermostat didn't fix it. Ended up finding out the fan ate the wires going to my fan clutch. Fixed that running cool again all is good for now. Not really sure why but after overheating the engine twice its running smoother than it has in a long time. Hope it stays that way. ..

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:43 PM

Glad to hear it. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.