04 6.0 PSD HPOP problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 6.0 PSD HPOP problem

My father and I just started a project on his '04 6.0 PSD, replacing o' rings and HPOP quick disconnect tube(located directly on top of HPOP). We bought the truck last year not knowing much about the 6.0 PSD and its problems. When we bought it, the owners said the truck has mechanical problems. After some quick fixes we got the truck running. The truck had some strange symtoms of long crank time, droping oil pressure at idle, but gained pressure when we increased throttle. We put a mechanical oil pressure gage on it, showing only 4lbs when it should register at least 7lbs. We had someone look at the truck and no progress was made. We did tons of research and trouble shooting and narrowed it down to the HPOP area. We were told that we would need to remove the engine or the cab from the chassis to get to the HPOP. We found some info from a forum on how to access the HPOP with out removing the cab or the engine. We started on the removal of many parts and then we were able to access the HPOP. We replaced all o' rings and HPOP quick disconnect tube and now we are going to use an EGR delete kit. We are still working on the project and if anyone has any tips or advice to help, we would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

I will post pics in my albums!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Before you seal up the HPOP again check on the driver side of the pump, there is a passageway with a ball bearing in it. Make sure that ball bearing is there, I just replaced my HPOP because it blew out, 2004 truck. I was making 6psi oil pressure when idling.

I have pictures, i'll try to get em up so you have a better idea. Actually if you pull the pump you'll be able to see very well if its there or not.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:09 PM

No Base oil Pressure
Old 08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK thanks, I'll check it this afternoon when i get to my shop. Could that lead to some of the symtoms that i currently have now or could it lead to different problems?
Old 08-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It turns out that the ball bearing IS missing and later we are going thread it and plug it. Thanks for the info!!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The Project is complete, we installed all parts and the 6.0 fired up(with minor turbo problem), but it runs great now. The complete job hours took about 7hrs total, and about $300(give or take). It has no problem starting and oil pressure is now correct. I recommend if you have any HPOP problems to do the repairs yourself only if its not under warranty. My dad and I have some mechanical knowledge(Gear Heads) and a lot of drive and we were able to get the job done. Soon I will post pics of the entire project and some other info. If anyone has any questions PLEASE feel free to ask, i am willing to help out, and if your not a member please join many other people willing to help as well(its free).
Old 08-22-2010, 07:57 AM

Cool beans, it can be a cheap job if you do it so. Some gaskets and a allen screw.

Actually did you plug it with a bolt or allen screw?
Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know this tread is kinda old but i just tore apart my engine and found out i have the same pronlem. I already got it tapped and pluged with a 1/4 npt fitting so its ready to drop in.

The problem im having is that i cant find the blown out ball bearing. What do yall guys do.

Keep lookin for it? Or just run it and let the ball fall in the pan?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know this is an old thread but figured others may have the same problem. I had the same problem with my pump and could not find the ball plug either even after looking in the oil pan. I ended up finding it in the lifter area cavity nearest where it sits on the pump. I guess when it blew out it went I to the lifter hole and was all the way in the back on to of the plastic lifter guide.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

just to let people know the hpop is hoding up and keeping pressure, i found that the bearing or steely usually ends up in the lifter area and sometimes it makes its way to the oil pan. the truck has about 15,000 miles since the fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to TXPSDmatt For This Useful Post:
04fording (05-20-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.