2006 F350 6.0L Head gasket problems... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 F350 6.0L Head gasket problems...

I've got a 2006 F350 with a 6.0L in it, I was noticing that it seemed to be making alot of boost. I asked a mechanic that I know and he pressure tested the cooling system because he noticed some chalky spattered residue around the overflow cap. He said there was a rad cap leak so we replaced that tonight and he pressure tested it again. Now he's telling me that we need to replace the head gaskets because the pressure went from 16 PSI to 18 PSI when he stomped on the gas. Anyone know what sort of pressure you're supposed to be getting when you do the pressure test under load like this? I'm not having any coolant loss or overheating issues so I'm a little skeptical just based on a 2PSI pressure difference. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

A better test would be to get an exhaust gas test kit available from most parts houses.
It has a chemical that changes color when exposed to exhaust gas. The tester screws onto the degas bottle in place of the cap. A 2 pound difference could be just from turning the pump faster increaseing water pressure.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thier not supposed to exceed the cap holding pressure.
They usually run around 10 - 14psi max.
Excessive boost (greater than 24psi) will lift the heads if you have stock bolts.
If it's not smoking white, the fan clutch and t/stat were checked and are OK, and the coolant flow is OK, I would say you need head gaskets.
Also fix the boost issue or stud it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.