Water/Trash in Fuel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water/Trash in Fuel?

At 4000 miles my Water in Fuel light came on and upon draining my 6 mm hex fuel plug I had what looks like "yellowish globs of jell" in about 12 ounces of fuel that came out then the fuel stopped.

Could this be only common trash in fuel or does this sound like more of a problem?

Should the fuel continue to drain or will only the trapped contaminated fuel drain?

How often on average will the Water in Fuel light come on?

Thanks,
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark6.0
At 4000 miles my Water in Fuel light came on and upon draining my 6 mm hex fuel plug I had what looks like "yellowish globs of jell" in about 12 ounces of fuel that came out then the fuel stopped.

Could this be only common trash in fuel or does this sound like more of a problem?

Should the fuel continue to drain or will only the trapped contaminated fuel drain?

How often on average will the Water in Fuel light come on?

Thanks,
Mark
what year 6.0 mark???
Old 04-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschn99
what year 6.0 mark???
2006 PSD ...
Old 04-08-2006, 05:26 PM
Banned

i would almost bet you got some fuel that was contaminated with water at a fuel station. i see you live in lousiana....is there any chance somewere you fill up may have had water contamination from the hurricane????......anyway, i would try replacing the fuel filters....and run it. if it was only a small amount of water.....you may be ok....if the problem persistas you may have to dropp the tank and clean it thouroughly, and i had one this winter that filled up in reno right after it flooded, that had so much "gunk" in the fuel/water seperator housing i had to replace the housing..........just a guess....but water has to come from somewhere and that is what that couldy gunk is.......diesel mixed with water.......Marc
Old 04-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschn99
i would almost bet you got some fuel that was contaminated with water at a fuel station. i see you live in lousiana....is there any chance somewere you fill up may have had water contamination from the hurricane????......anyway, i would try replacing the fuel filters....and run it. if it was only a small amount of water.....you may be ok....if the problem persistas you may have to dropp the tank and clean it thouroughly, and i had one this winter that filled up in reno right after it flooded, that had so much "gunk" in the fuel/water seperator housing i had to replace the housing..........just a guess....but water has to come from somewhere and that is what that couldy gunk is.......diesel mixed with water.......Marc
I am in Slidell just outside of New Orleans so I guess I could have some bad fuel from both of the recent hurricanes although I have only bought fuel from the local TA truck stop since my truck was new. This is mostly because of the price but also I kinda think that they may take a little better care of the fuel while in storage.
After draining some bad fuel out I ran the truck about a mile and the light came back on so I'll drain again. I hope I can drain the contaminated fuel out without having to drop the tank, I'll be out of town a couple weeks.
I was mostly concerned with the gelled particles that came out with the fuel.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Banned

make sure to change your fuel filters also....especially the one that is in that lower housing that you are draining.......they will help filter out any particulates. also, if its been pretty warm, and DRY....you can take your fuel cap off if the truck will be sitting for a full day. Water tends to settle to the top when mixed with diesel, as long as it has time to settle (driving down the road will mix it back up). Diesel has terrible evaporation qualities, so you may be able to get some of the water out of the tank on a warm day with just evaporation, as long as the truck is sitting for a longer period of time....and dont leave that cap off during the night or you will leave a chance for condensation in the tank, negeting any gains you may have gotton.......Marc
Old 04-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quality Fuel Filters?

If I can't get filters from Ford what brand of Filters are good quality replacements for the PSD? I may have to pick some up today.

Mark
Old 04-09-2006, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark6.0
If I can't get filters from Ford what brand of Filters are good quality replacements for the PSD? I may have to pick some up today.

Mark
from what ive seen, none of the aftermarkets are constructed quite as well as the ford ones.......but WIX is definately who i would go with if i couldnt get the ford ones.......Marc
Old 04-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It looks like it might take a little longer to get the bad fuel out.

After draining the water seperator 4 times the light came on again today. I will try to drain it once more and I guess it will be time to take it to the shop.

Is this odd or is the water seperator sensor very sensative?

I've been in some areas around New Orleans that are still like ghost towns with no services or assistance from the storms last year so fuel problems are a big concern.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Banned

the sensor is very sencitive......and if there is any water in the system....it will pick it up......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.