6.0 Oil Cooler & EGR Cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Oil Cooler & EGR Cooler

I have a 2004 F-350 6.0 Powerstroke with what has been diagnosed by the dealership as having a leaking oil cooler. I knew I had a problem because of...well, the oil leaking in my driveway.

Anyway, I've just learned by reading many posts on this site that the oil cooler and egr cooler are very closely related and am now wondering why the dealership did not go ahead and replace the oil cooler when my egr cooler blew up 20,000 miles ago when still covered under warranty.

I guess my first question would be, were they obligated to replace the oil cooler at that time under some TSB?

I would also like to know what the best course of action is going to be for me. Obviously I need to have the oil cooler replaced with what I understand now to be an upgraded model from the manufacturer. I do not know if I should go ahead and replace the egr cooler again as a preventative measure, or install an egr delete or bypass kit? Possibly a Bulletproof egr cooler as recommended by one mechanic in my area? It's probably worth mentioning that I use my truck regularly to tow a 9,000 lb. boat.

Also, does anybody on this site know of any good dealer mechanics in my area of North San Diego county that would be interested in doing this work for me on the side? I don't mind paying someone for their labor, but the dealership wants $4000 to replace both parts, or $3500 to just replace the oil cooler. At a rate of $105 per hour I'm having a hard time doing the math since the parts are only about $600 and it takes about a full day to perform the work. At least that's my understanding, let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help with this. I'm no mechanic and I need to get my truck back on the road for work as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 05:46 AM

I don't think you can get them on not doing the oil cooler, they probably should have but what you going to do?
I rebuilt my oil cooler the parts were $200, not sure about an upgraded model, sounds like more bucks to me. Hopefully someone familiar with it will chime in.
As for what to do, I would suggest do something with the egr cooler either delete it or replace it with one of the after market kits. If it fails it can cause head and or head gasket problems. Do your oil cooler and I would put in a coolant filter.
I flushed my cooling system after doing an egr delete and oil cooler rebuild and was shocked by how bad the water was.

Hope That Helps.
Good Luck!
Old 04-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am in the process of gathering materials and information for my oil cooler change as well. I have been debating the EGR cooler, keeping it, deleting it or bulletproofing it and I have reached the following conclusion (for me). I have a 2003 6.0 which has the round EGR cooler. These coolers are far better than the later square coolers. Mine is not showing any signs of failing, and I am not having EGR related issues. When I replace my oil cooler, I will clean as best I can the soot from the EGR cooler, manifold and EGR valve then reinstall all of them. If the EGR cooler fails in the future I will remove it.

Do you know if you have an early or late 2004? If it's a later 2004 I would give a lot of thought to the EGR cooler and avoid the OEM replacement if you decide to retain it and go with the bulletproof EGR cooler. If you have an early 2004, then you have a better EGR cooler to begin with and you may want to risk keeping it, that's where I'm leaning now anyway. Here's a fun link for common 6.0 problems.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:45 AM
Serving Our Country!

thats a whole lot of work to rebuild that oil cooler and not take care of the egr while your in there.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a conversation with a local mechanic regarding installing a factory replacement oil cooler. My question to him was, "isn't there an upgraded model that is better than the factory original cooler?". His reply was that the factory replacement that Ford now stocks has been upgraded from the original one they installed when building the truck the first time around.

Does this sound right, or does anybody here have firsthand knowledge that this is correct? It's going to cost a lot of money to fix this thing and I want to get it right the first time. BTW....I've decided to go with a Bulletproof EGR cooler while we're in there.

One more thing. If I have oil leaking, does that mean that the oil cooler itself (heat exchanger?) is actually leaking, or could it just be that the oil cooler bell housing is leaking? The only info the dealership gave me was just that the oil cooler and possibly the egr cooler needed to be replaced. I just want to make sure I get all the parts I need before taking it to a mechanic for installation.

Oh, and how much should this cost anyway? The dealership said $4k to replace both coolers, another independant mechanic quoted $2500. I can buy a factory oil cooler and Bulletproof egr cooler for about $650. This means that the quotes I have gotten so far are between $1900 - $3400 for labor. Based on $100 per hour, the labor works out to be a 19 - 34 hour job? Really?? I heard it takes a day. Anybody know for sure?
Old 04-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsortor View Post
I had a conversation with a local mechanic regarding installing a factory replacement oil cooler. My question to him was, "isn't there an upgraded model that is better than the factory original cooler?". His reply was that the factory replacement that Ford now stocks has been upgraded from the original one they installed when building the truck the first time around.

Does this sound right, or does anybody here have firsthand knowledge that this is correct? It's going to cost a lot of money to fix this thing and I want to get it right the first time. BTW....I've decided to go with a Bulletproof EGR cooler while we're in there.

One more thing. If I have oil leaking, does that mean that the oil cooler itself (heat exchanger?) is actually leaking, or could it just be that the oil cooler bell housing is leaking? The only info the dealership gave me was just that the oil cooler and possibly the egr cooler needed to be replaced. I just want to make sure I get all the parts I need before taking it to a mechanic for installation.

Oh, and how much should this cost anyway? The dealership said $4k to replace both coolers, another independant mechanic quoted $2500. I can buy a factory oil cooler and Bulletproof egr cooler for about $650. This means that the quotes I have gotten so far are between $1900 - $3400 for labor. Based on $100 per hour, the labor works out to be a 19 - 34 hour job? Really?? I heard it takes a day. Anybody know for sure?
The stock oil coolers are exactly the same as the ones that your truck originally came with; they haven't upgraded them.

Each job has it's own hours per the book which accounts for teardown and reassembly. If they are adding both numbers together, you are getting SERIOUSLY overcharged. Both replacements can be done in one day if you know what you are doing.

BTW, the tech should know EXACTLY which parts you should be picking up or I would go to a different tech. You likely still have another issue with the oil leak. Have them install some UV dye into the oil so they can diagnose where it is coming from...
Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Chapter Director

not sure about oil cooler but i did my egr delete in a day. but that was my first and it took a little longer cause my truck is lifted so i had to a lot of climbing in and out from under the hood. so i suppose that it could be done in about a day or day and half. and the labor times over lap so it dose sound like they are trying to pull one over on you
Old 04-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input guys. I spoke with a guy from Bulletproofdiesel.com today and the book hours for the egr cooler is 7, and 8 for the oil cooler. As you stated EvilEye, it seems that not only are they adding the hours of both jobs together, they are tacking on another 18 just for good measure for a total of 33 hours of labor. What a joke. The other shop I checked with is trying to get a total of 18 hours for labor on an 8 hour job. What's with these guys? I'm a contractor and wish like hell I could do 8 hours worth of labor and charge for 33!!

I'm going to get another estimate to see if I can get something more realistic. If not, I think it's time to invest in a manual and new set of tools. Maybe even a pre 1980 truck. You know, the ones that didn't have all this extra bull**** on them and used to be easy to work on?
Old 04-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like you spoke to Ken. He's a GREAT guy and helped me with my install over the weekend. Make sure that you let the tech know that you know what you are talking about. Sorry to hear about your experience. Hopefully, you find someone in your area that is honest and knows what he's doing.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I too am in north San Diego county and saw you oil cooler post from a few years ago. I may be in the need of a replacement here soon and was hoping to see how you resolved your problem and any advice you can give me.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.