6.0 Turbo problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Turbo problem?

Just did the coolant flush which took forever because I was so paranoid that I tried to get every drop of the old crap out.

Then I swapped my oil from whatever was in it before (probably 15w-40) to Rotella T5 10w-30 CJ-4 spec oil. I bought 3 jugs which I assumed to be 15 quarts.... what does the first three letters of assume spell? Yea thats me.

I added all 3 jugs, filter change also. I checked it and it looked ok, then I proceeded with the coolant change.

I ran the truck for about 10-20 minutes a couple of times while letting the coolant flush and trying to get every bit of the old green crap out.

Then my friend checks the oil and the damned dipstick is frickin dry! Oh noes! The jugs were only 4 quarts each so I've been running 12quarts instead of 15.

Oil pressure has been good the WHOLE time. Never a sign that something was bad. Until I am revving it in gear trying to get a load on the engine so that I can warm it up to flush the coolant.

Light comes on. Bugger. I go to wal-mart and get the next jug of oil and add it. It took 3 on the dot and it was a perfect fill.

So now I go to autozone and get the code scanned. It comes up "Turbo boost" something or another. I want to say it was 0299. I clear the code and drive home. The code does NOT reappear and the truck seems to drive perfectly except for....

The noise. I swear it sounds like a mud guard is rubbing on the wheel when I let off the engine. I've heard of "Turbo Fart" before and it sounds JUST like that. Except it is doing it ALL of the time. When I shut the truck off 20 minutes ago, it died doing the "turbo fart" instead of sounding like a harrier jet shutting down.

What the hell is going on? Did I fubar my turbo running those few quarts low? Is the viscosity change doing it? Is my VGT sensor going out?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds to me like your turbo wasnt getting and is now coming apart but idk for sure so i will let the experts give there opinion
Old 03-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

I checked the shaft play thoroughly and it feels completely fine.

My thoughts after driving around for awhile with it like this, and NO CEL, is that my VGT is somehow malfunctioning.

At seems to be stuck in certain positions and non changing. I drove around town with no problems. I hit the interstate doing 70 and the turbo was weird. It would build boost and it seems that it would stay at max boost even though I'm only doing 2k RPM. With the cruise control set on a flat road, my wastegate would open and do the "turbo fart" mid drive. Not letting off the accelerator pedal or any type of accelerator change at all. It did this a few times.

If I hear nothing else on another type of fix, I'm going back to the 15w-40 oil to just see if the more flowing oil is causing this problem.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via ICQ to VeeDubTDI Send a message via AIM to VeeDubTDI Send a message via MSN to VeeDubTDI Send a message via Yahoo to VeeDubTDI
First thing that comes to my mind is a broken/stuck VGT solenoid, running your turbo with the vanes closed (creating max boost), thus causing your overboost code and the turbo surging. Check the solenoid to make sure that you haven't blown one of the little o-rings, and maybe do an output test on the VGT solenoid with it idling if you have an AE or something.

Oh, and don't keep driving it around while it's broken, it could damage the turbo.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Banned

I appreciate the response. I am guessing the VGT myself. I guess I will have to subscribe to www.powerstrokehelp.org and get some fixes off of that site.

I am pretty sure the VGT solenoid is the one that is immediately visible off the passenger front side of the turbo. Am I correct in this? So a simple O-Ring may have failed? I'll check into it.

Another thing to say is that the truck drove like a champ today. I needed it to haul some stuff around just like I will need it tomorrow and the next day. Most all of these trips will be small back and forths and we (my wife and I) will keep the driving to a minimum.

How do we check the VGT solenoid through a "AE"?
Old 03-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Banned

I just ordered a new VGT ring and also a new VGT solenoid. I'm reading quite a few things on those parts failing so I'll work like a good mechanic and replace the cheapest parts first.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

Any other thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.