Stock 04' power loss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock 04' power loss

I was pulling a 500 pound trailer and went to pass when the engine stumbled and failed to spool up. The engine remained at RPM without any signd of acceleration. Looked under the hood to find plenty of old and fresh oil and grime near turbo. Couldn't find the source exactly, however, the blue boot seemed loose and tightened it. It hasn't done it since.

The truck is stock and has a small lift and tires as the only mods. No boost gauge either. ??????? Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via ICQ to VeeDubTDI Send a message via AIM to VeeDubTDI Send a message via MSN to VeeDubTDI Send a message via Yahoo to VeeDubTDI
Well, if it hasn't done it since then I think you found the source of your problem (loose boot). How much oil did you see coming out of the turbo?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It was pretty heavy from the turbo forward to just short of the radiator. It honestly looks as though it's been sprayed around under the hood as it was on the underside of the hood as well. There was none south of the turbo on the firewall either. I wiped down most of the components to get a sense of the direction it traveled and went for a hearty ride. Not much new evidence. Is the aluminum tube and Blue boot boot supposed to have SOME oil in it? Cause it does!

Thanks for the reply, can't afford to get scalped by a dealership!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:07 AM

The tube will have some oil on the inside, but shouldn't be covered on the outside. (maybe the boot has been loose for a long time?)
I had the same problem with the tube popping off on heavy acceleration. Though with mine there was a big pop and a loss of power. It would rev up, but the turbo would not spool up. I was quite happy when I figured out that was all it was, especially since the truck just turned over 100K. (had nightmares of changing $$turbo's$$)
Old 03-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After cleaning the entire mess up, it had to be the boot coming loose cause i've put over 350 mi on it recently and there is zero splatter anywhere. Thanks for the reply as it couldn't have worked out cheaper to fix! Clean and tighten the boot/tube connection.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 PM

I just got my 04 6.0 about a week ago. i went to clean under the hood. And found oil residue on the charge cooler blue hoses. I removed them to clean them up and found oil in the line. So i thought that meant i had seal leak in the turbo. Is this not true? should this be there? or not. thanks
Old 03-20-2010, 06:00 AM

There will be some oil in there. not a big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.