I Cant Figure this out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 10:25 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I Cant Figure this out

Cant quite figure out what the issue is here.

I have an 06 f250 with 140k on it. The truck will start fine and idles smooth regardless of how cold it is. In the morning, even after I let the truck idle for about ten minutes, there is just no power for the first two or three minutes of driving. After that, I can get it up to speed but it just seems like it is missing. Once it is warmed up, it has a hesitation, almost like a gasser would if it had a misfire while I am accelerating. Once it is up to highway speeds it runs fine. My fuel mileage seems to be about the same as it always has, I have no smoke of any kind, my degas bottle is full, no puke or loss of coolant anywhere I can see. Fuel Filters changed 1500 miles ago, Oil and Filter changed at the same time, and egr valve cleaned as well. The inside of the intake was dry when I cleaned the valve. No codes of any kind. Ran an Injector buzz test both cold and hot, everything tested ok. Tested the FICM voltage both cold and hot, and voltage was 48.2.

Another problem I am having is when I leave a stop. I begin to accelerate and immediatly feel a thump from the middle of the vehicle. That is the only time I feel it is when I leave a stop.

I have been reading so many posts on here, and just cant seem to find anyone who has had or is having the same problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

How's he boost look, turbo hesitating? I don't really know what the problem, but give you a bump! How about the thummp? Is it loud, I have a small one when taking off from start too, in the manual it does mention somehing about a small thump
that is normal.... Hopefully someone will also add!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:04 AM

The boost seems normal. Turbo sounds normal. As far as the thump, I don't really hear it, I just can feel it. I have read that this is normal as well, but a friend of mine has the same truck, with a few less miles on it and I don't feel it at all when I'm driving his.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Don't know about the power issue, but the thump MIGHT be ball joints. My truck would thump when taking off, but then later it began thumping when I'd stop and take off. In my case it turned out to be my right ball joints. By that point, I could feel & hear the thump. Had them replaced, thump went away. just a suggestion.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the input. I just put new brake pads front and rear, new rotors on the rear, new calipers on the front, shocks, steering stabilizer and wheels and tires over the weekend. I had the truck on the lift and checked all the ball joints, and the wheel bearings, there was no sign of slop in any of them. One thing I didn't check was the transmission mount. Think I will bring it in to the shop this afternoon and check that. I will re-check all of the ball joints again as well.

Anyone have any ideas on the hesitation and lack of power issue???
Old 03-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Go to the dealer and get your FICM PCM and TCM reprogrammed. Ford is always releasing new "cold start" strategies to help the injectors warm up faster. Almost every one that I have had complaining about cold start problems can be cleared up with the latest calibration. As far as the bump from a stop, pull the rear dshaft apart and grease the slip yoke, make sure the ujoints are phased when you reinstall or you will have a helluva vibe.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 PM

Thanks. I will pull the drive shaft tomorrow and grease the slip yolk. I called the dealer, they dont want to do a reprogram for me unless I have them diagnose the truck first. I guess I'll let them run the diag and see what they come up with. The service advisor I spoke with seems to think that I may have injector problems or a HPOP problem.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thats crap, if you came into my dealer and asked to have a reprogram done, I would do it. Being a ford master diesel tech the first thing I would do is reprogram. If there is another dealer in your area call them. HPOP is way out of the question, Service Advisors are good for answering phones thats it!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:54 PM

So you think maybe I should just tell the service advisor just to do the reprogram? I know you said the HPOP is out of the question, but what do you think about injectors? All I know is how to do the buzz test, I did that and they all checked out ok.

The cold start problem is consistant anytime I start the vehicle if it is not up to operating temp. It is like this every morning, and sometimes if it sits in the parking lot at work for 8 hours it will be the same way when I go to leave work, usually not as bad as the mornings however. Once it is up to operating temp, it runs better, just seems to still have a miss upon acceleration. So many of the posts I have read, all have similar symptoms but most of them that have injector problems or turbo problems seem to have smoke. This truck does not smoke at all, not on start up and not at all no matter how hard I get on it, which I assume is a good thing.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i know this seems to dumb to mention but i didnt see it while reading.. have you tried draining the water out of your fuel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.