Help Please. Hpop or IPR? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help Please. Hpop or IPR?

How can I test the hpop to see if it is up to psi. I have a no start problem on a 03 6.0 the Ipc comes up to about 280psi and the IPR is at 85%. I dont know where to go past this to test it? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via ICQ to VeeDubTDI Send a message via AIM to VeeDubTDI Send a message via MSN to VeeDubTDI Send a message via Yahoo to VeeDubTDI
See the no-start link in my signature for the diagnostic procedure by m-chan68. You will need an AE scan tool (or equivalent) to diagnose your problems (which I assume you already have, since you can read ICP and IPR data).

Your next step is so connect shop air to your ICP port and command the IPR valve closed and listen for the air leak. If no air leaks, then you have a weak HPOP. If you hear an air leak, then you've found the source of your high pressure oil leak.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
See the no-start link in my signature for the diagnostic procedure by m-chan68. You will need an AE scan tool (or equivalent) to diagnose your problems (which I assume you already have, since you can read ICP and IPR data).

Your next step is so connect shop air to your ICP port and command the IPR valve closed and listen for the air leak. If no air leaks, then you have a weak HPOP. If you hear an air leak, then you've found the source of your high pressure oil leak.
Yes, your link is what got me this far very helpful. Does the shop air connect to the IPC port and where can i get, make this connection to it? thanks again.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 AM

The IPC on a 2003 is more difficult to get to it's on the back of the engine under the turbo. The easiest way to get to it is to go under the truck, remove a heat shield then you can remove the IPC. I have no idea if there's an easier way on the 2003's to apply the shop air.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
The IPC on a 2003 is more difficult to get to it's on the back of the engine under the turbo. The easiest way to get to it is to go under the truck, remove a heat shield then you can remove the IPC. I have no idea if there's an easier way on the 2003's to apply the shop air.
Thanks, I can get to the icp, I replaced it about a year ago. What a job that was. I was just wonding about the fitting it is a bit of a diffrent thered?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to VeeDubTDI Send a message via AIM to VeeDubTDI Send a message via MSN to VeeDubTDI Send a message via Yahoo to VeeDubTDI
From what I've heard it's a weird thread size... you'll have to rig something up.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke Techie

For what it's worth, on any 2003 6.0L that has darkened my doorstep with insufficient ICP, it's pretty much always been the high pressure oil pump itself that has been the culprit component that failed. 2003 model years are a ROYAL pain in the A** to air test. You would need to remove the easiest to access valve cover (which is probably the driver's side) and air test it through the port on the top of the straight oil rail. If you choose to disassemble it as far as removing the high pressure oil pump, you can also insert a rubber tipped air nozzle directly into the branch tube. By doing it this way, you eliminate the high pressure oil pump, discharge tube and IPR valve out of the equation. If applying air into the branch tube directly fails to reveal any air leaks, you'll know it's the high pressure oil pump that has failed, which you've already removed. If you do hear any air leaks, you'll know if you're going LEFT or RIGHT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.