Water in Fuel Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water in Fuel Questions

I have a 2005 f350 6.0 which has had issues in the past with injectors, water in fuel issues and most recently replaced the EGR valve.....
I have some questions about the issue of water in the fuel system---
When the EGR valve was replaced last month, the mechanic drained the water from teh drain spot on the fuel filter area...
I drained it this morning and it had some in it again...
How often is this supposed to be drained?
If there a way to retrofit the holding facility to hold more water?
Is there a way to drain water from teh fuel tank instead of allowing it to get into the system and to the filter area?

Is there a resource that may list the high volumn diesel stations in ones area?
Im in Birmingham, AL
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via ICQ to VeeDubTDI Send a message via AIM to VeeDubTDI Send a message via MSN to VeeDubTDI Send a message via Yahoo to VeeDubTDI
To my knowledge, there is no way to increase the capacity of the water separator, short of adding an aftermarket one before it.

Drain it often... couldn't hurt to do it at every oil change. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Water won't really build up in the fuel tank very much because water settles to the bottom, and the fuel pickup draws from the bottom of the tank. Any water in there will get sucked up and filtered out in the fuel conditioning module.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply...
Does anyone recommend draining the water out at every fuel fill up? Which for me would be once a week.
Does anyone know if there is an after market water fuel separator that is available?
How does everyone judge if their local station is providing them good fuel or not? I kow you cant ask, becuase they may think they have good fuel, but may not realize that it may actually have water in it....
Old 03-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 6.o is a 2003 with the hex head drain. Is there a conversion kit to install the valve? My cap is stripped and I have to losen the cover to drain the water.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 AM

yes here is the part number get it from international for like 15 bucks. then you can do it handsfree. 6E7Z9C082A you should start running a fuel conditioner like powerservice silver bottle or something. if you also getting alot of water in the fuel i would be getting my fuel from another fuel station. i drain mine when i change the filters and there is maybe a teaspoon if that. but i run fuel conditioner in every tank and change filters every other oil change.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. Just got the truck a few weeks ago. Ran great until I filled up at a local BP. started spitting and missing every so often. No codes so we decided to check the water separator. Found water but no WIF light. Sensor may be bad??? Truck runs great again. Started using Diesel Kleen on the last fill up as well. Plan on using every fill up.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i use a local bp station too and am wondering if this is the source of my problem?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to VeeDubTDI Send a message via AIM to VeeDubTDI Send a message via MSN to VeeDubTDI Send a message via Yahoo to VeeDubTDI
If there's a lot of water in there, and your WIF light isn't coming on, then your sensor may be bad. Mine got stuck on because the sensor was all gummed up with rust and crud.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:50 PM

purplehorn, thanks for that part number... I'm going to order one.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:58 AM

VeeDubTDI, when checking the sensor do you just take the front plate off? My light has been staying on after draining several times. I was going to take the cover off but wasn't sure if it was the front, or side covers? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.