Questions about a 6.0L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions about a 6.0L

I am looking at a 2004 6.0L that a guy has for sale that has the dreaded Head gasket problem. I don't want to start another topic over gasket change but just wanting some input on what to do. Here are the details, He is on his second set of gaskets, and installed the studs, and new egr within 46,000 miles. After the installing the second set of gaskets it still steamed when it was running. Someone told him to put some Liquid Glass in the radiator and it would fix it. So he drained it and added it and run it and drained again. But still steamed, He then done it again this time drove it for about 40 miles and the steam went away, and was running like a champ. After parking it to let it cool, now the truck won't start. Turns over and just black smoke out the tailpipe. I have asked local diesel mechanic and was told that the engine is trash now that he has put the liquid glas in. The reason I am interested in the truck cause he is wanting to sale it for $9000.00 and with only 46,000 miles on it I am trying to way my options on buying it. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i wouldnt get it. spend the money now and get a good running 6.0 rather then save the money now and having to spend more in the long run for repairs
Old 03-08-2010, 12:59 PM

I'd ask around and get some other opinions, but I'd say for what you could end up spending on fixing it you could by one that is running and driving
Old 03-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Run Forrest run.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Personally, I'd find another truck. There's a reason he's only asking $9k for it. Who knows what that crap did to the motor.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:00 PM

chances are its going to need a motor or at least every cooler and almost every other component that the water touched.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice. I know the guy with the truck real well. And i kind of feel bad for him cause I went with him to get the truck when he bought it. It only had 20,000 miles on it and we thought he was going to get a truck that wouldn't give him any troubles. Then the head gasket blew about 26,000. And after a $5,000 shop bill he thought all his problems where over. So he bought a tuner for it and drove it for another 20,000 miles. Then he had a friend put the other set of gaskets and studs in and removed the tune. But still leaking....that is when they put the liquid glass in. Again thanks for the advice. I was wanting to way my options on the cost of fixing it. Compared to having to buy another motor.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to VeeDubTDI Send a message via AIM to VeeDubTDI Send a message via MSN to VeeDubTDI Send a message via Yahoo to VeeDubTDI
Stay far far away from that thing. It's going to be a total money pit unless you put a complete engine in it... and then you're still going to have to do studs and gaskets and EGR delete, etc. to make the new engine bulletproof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.