New to Diesel have some issues with 03 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to Diesel have some issues with 03 6.0

First and foremost let me hi to all here, I am new to this forum and to the diesel world in general. I picked up at auction a 2003 F250 Superduty Powerstroke pickup. While at the auction the truck was running at idle was in excellent shape, sounded good, no smoke, etc and it had 117000 miles on it. I won the bid and payed 6700 for the truck, I thought I hit a grand slam.

I drove the truck home from the auction and that's when I noticed the white smoke coming out. I first thought it was because there was only an eighth of a tank of fuel in it and the truck had probably been sitting for awhile. I filled it up, the truck started with no problems but the smoke was still coming out.

After running it for about a half hour the smoke quit as long as I was running at a high (60 to 75 mph) steady speed. Once I slowed down to below 60 the truck would start to run rough, missing to be correct, as long as the rpm's were up the truck ran pretty well.

I put a scanner to the truck and these are the following codes I recieved:

P0263 INJ Cylinder #1 contribution/balance Power cylinder, valve train or injector

P0562 PCED System voltage low Charging system failure

P0671 GPCM Cylinder 1 glow plug circuit Circuit open, short to ground, short to voltage, faulty glow plug

P0683 GPCM Glow plug control module to PCM communication circuit Open circuit, short to voltage, short to ground, faulty PCM

P1378 INJ Module FICM supply voltage circuit low Faulty connection, fuse, faulty relay, short to ground, charging system

Now I did forget to turn the interior dome light off, and it was on for a day and a half, so I am assuming that the low voltage codes can be due to a low battery.

My question is this, what do I need to do to check and what needs to be replaced? Looking for sugestions here on what you all might think the problem is. Thanks

Oh, the truck starts fine no problems, runs fine other than a bit rough at low speeds, like you are in overdrive at a low speed kind of rough.

Last edited by Dirago; 03-06-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Dr. of Linemantology

I would start by ming sure both batteries are good by load checking them. If the are good, then charge them completely, make sure they both have at least 12.6 volts or better, clear those codes, then after a whilke of running or driving around pull codes again and see what you get. The 683 and 671 sounds like the glolw plug module or the harness coul be faulty or going bad. The glow plugs do not have a fuse or a relay, but simply a module which is activated by the PCM. It is located on top of Passwenger side valve cover. It has a green and black connector plugged into it. The green plug has a reputation for having issues so look it over carefully. Post what codes yo still get after clearing up the battery issues. The white smoke? could be? Pay close attention to coolant levels an check degas bottle and cap. You need to get it monitored and get some live data diagnostics or else you'll throw money at parts and just guessing. Just my opinion. good luck and hope you enjoy truck. You'll find itys a good truck and a workhorse motor, there is just a lot of particulars about themaintience and care of this motor that are unlike any other motor. ex. oil, filters(fuel & oil) that hae strict guidlines and specifications that need to be adhered to or you will have problems. Look arund tis sitein the 6.0 tech files for maintinence and repair. you've come to the right site.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Upon inspecting the harness, I took a look at the green plug and it looks like on the white face of the plug there are some faint black spots on it, the black plug however, is as white as white can be.

So would this be an indication that the harness (or just the green plug) is bad? or the glow plug module is bad? or both?

And if it is just the plug that went bad, can I just replace the plug or would I have to replace the whole harness?

Don't want to sound stupid (I know to late) but, I am a newbie to diesels and just don't want to waste money on parts I didn't need.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Any resolution to your issues ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.