Turbo Problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 04:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Problem?

Hello All, I am new to posting here, but a longtime lurker. I was wondering if someone could give me some ideas on a problem I am having with my 04 6.0 w/105k miles. I was accelerating onto the highway this morning and I heard a loud pop and an instant loss of power. I pulled over and did a quick check but nothing obvious. No Smoke, No engine codes, just very little power. It seems to idle okay and it restarted fine after I checked it out. It sputters when revving and I can't hear the turbo whine. It does sound like it has a slightly louder exhaust tone, but I couldn't isolate where it was coming from. I am at work now but plan on checking it out when I get home. Could it be one of the Turbo pipes? (notice my extreme newby to working on Diesel engines)
Praying it isn't the turbo itself. Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 05:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

don't be scared...it happened to me and I fixed it myself. one of the boots probably popped off or split open. check the rubber coupler at you turbo it probly came loose. if it needs to be replaced Ford gets $90 for it. Mine popped off twice on me in a matter of two months then I spent the money replaced it and never happened again. let me know.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:30 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. That will be awesome if that is all that is wrong with it. Did yours have the same symptoms? (no power, no turbo sound, no smoke, etc)
Old 03-06-2010, 06:56 AM

Also, could it be the infamous "up-pipe" I have read so much about here? Does that make a pop (backfire sound) when it goes?
Old 03-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mine had the same sound and effects. not sure if the y pipe would give the same symptoms..probably.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:47 PM

Mooch01, Just wanted to say thanks again. I spent 2 hrs trying to figure out where the leak was. Both aluminum pipes seemed tight. I had my BIL pick up his scanner from work and we got a couple of confusing codes (P0068, P0500 and 2263)
The P0068 was the MAP sensor. I decided to remove the aircleaner and see if something was wrong with the MAP sensor (broken wire,etc)
When I took the aircleaner out I noticed the Aluminum pipe was out of the rubber sleeve under the air cleaner. I had checked if the pipe was loose earlier, but since there is absolutly no spare room under there, the pipe appeared tight when pulled on.
I hooked it back up and it runs better than it has in along time. I have no idea how that clamp got loose?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Dr. of Linemantology

Sometimes the intercooler boots just get wore or dry-rot from the heat of the motor. When they seperate from the intercooler pipes it usually happens durng an acceleration and it sounds like an explosion under the hood. It results in no turbo boost build and weak pedal with no power or acceleation. If you really want to be safe, the up-pipe and the down pipe both have 2 rubber boots on them. I changed all 4 (they looked cracked and wore) because they left my wife stranded on the highway. their about 50 bucks each and relatively easy to change while in the driveway but not on the side of the road. if you do change them or ever put one back on, be sure and clean the boot an the pipe good with a degreaser or good cleaner. The boots and the pipes will have motor oil in them (small amounts blown in from the turbo, since it gets its lube from the egine oil supply). If not cleaned good they will just blow right back off. good luck. sorry. maybe more info then you were looking for.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:30 AM

Quote:
maybe more info then you were looking for.
Nope, any info was appreciated. I did noticed the rubber sleeve near the turbo does look dry rotted. (probably from the heat) I think I will replace the 2 top sleeves to be safe. But it is running a hell of a lot better now that the sleeve has been tightened up. I think it may have been leaking for a while.
Now if I can get that stupid "water in fuel" light to go out. I drained the seperator several times, and changed the filters. I did a search here and others have said to clean the sensor and it may fix the problem. I looked under there and I wasn't sure what to take apart, so I figured I would do more research before I tried taking it apart. (didn't want to do more harm that good)
Anyone have any picture of the sensor? Or the exact location of it? Do you remove the whole water seperator cover?

Last edited by jno; 03-08-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have noticed sometimes when i'm sitting somehwere idleing that theres a pop or boom sound that comes from my ruck somewhere?? i always think someone hit me or something and look around to notice no one's close to me, then i realize it must have come from my engine or tranny.... Could this be related to what you guys are talking about?it's happened to me like 4 times in the past 2 or 3 months.... but i still have full boost?
Old 03-08-2010, 07:06 AM

I don't think so. This pop noise was on hard acceleration (boost pushing aluminum pipe off and letting pressure go) After the pop there is like zero power, and it won't accelerate over 30-40 at full throttle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.