Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

04 6.0 drives great then sputters and or dies after 20 mins

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  quequeg37 
#1 ·
my 04 runs great for about 20 to 30 mins then starts to sputter when driving over bumps sometimes shuts off completely. It restarts sometimes, sometimes it doesn't until it cools down. I changed the FICM and the ficm harness with no luck. any ideas?

#2 ·
injectors is the problem I am having with mine rite now in the shop check your oil see if smells like diesel.

#4 ·
Sputtering and stalling after hitting bumps should be a clue to the problem. First need to do self test with scan tool, any curcuit related codes? then pull the drivers side battery cover, behind it is the PCM mounted against the inner fender. start engine and begin to gently tug, pull and wiggle the harness connectors, maybe tap on the PCM. work your way down the harness.

If you replaced the FICM/injector harness, I would also reach down between the intake pipe to the connectors and gently apply motion while the engine is running. or if you like a less down and dirty method, you could take a more scientific approch and do a snapshot or data log the event while driving down a bumpy road, then review to see which one of the several miracles goes away at ground zero, lol

#5 ·
Check the plug/harness/connector going to yor camshaft postion sensor. my plug and wires were bad and their was oil ad dirt in the plug. It would run great for a while and then just shut off. Just an idea. Mine never threw any codes while this was happening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.