Need help removing intake manifold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help removing intake manifold

I have taken alternator off, radiator, fan, unplugged about everything, have taken the antifreeze tank off, the v clamps and the tubing is off, and i have taken 2 bolts off the turbo, where is the 3rd one? I have an 03 btw, I can feel a bolt in the back but idk if it's the right one because I seen on here where they said it was 2 horizontal bolts which I have remover and one vertical but the one I can feel is horizontal, and "when" hopefully when I get they turbo off what else do I need to do besides take the intake bolts out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 12:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lifsvr7 Send a message via Yahoo to Lifsvr7
Yeah that is prolly the one in the back.. I had that same problem with mine, and then u have to roll/snaggle it out passenger side.. & try not to drop it... its a MF to find... the intake should come right off then as long as u got the 2 horizontal ones... good luck
Old 03-04-2010, 12:49 PM

Okay so it's a horizontal one? And yeah I'm trying to figure out how to take it out, I think it's going to be like playing legos getting the right combination of extentions and swivels. I tried yesterday but I had to much bind in the swivel
Old 03-04-2010, 01:25 PM

On my 03 it has 3 horizontal bolts..Just make sure you don't round it...If you have use a 6 pt socket.. I used a 3/8 6 pt socket reduced down to 1/4 drive. Also I applied a rag with b blaster on it for awhile and came right out...Good Luck
Old 03-04-2010, 01:50 PM

So.... Is this thread about removing Intake Manifold or turbo? With the intake manifold you may have to cut some of the tape that connects all the wires to give it a little slack as well.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:59 PM

the best way to get the back bolt out is frist get somebody to help while your holding the ratchet handle straight up have your buddy stick something to pry with in from driver side between the turbo and your handle and let him pull toward passenger headlight & also you do not need an extension or a swivel oh yeah & i think you have to remove the injector wiring harness to remove intake but maybe a tech can assure that for you.

Last edited by cain6.0; 03-04-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:40 PM

I already unplugged all the leads to the injectors, but I haven't really got to work oN it today but my (local ford tech/dad) has been working on it he has the down pipe moved back for a little more room, he hasn't got it out because of that last fing bolt on the back side, he has used a map gas torch to try to heat it up, and pb blaster but still can't get it, he said he is using a 1/4 inch drive with a regular 10mm, he said he is afraid to use a 3/8ths because of fear of snapping the bolt, the front had no problem, I don't understand y this one is giving us so much hell any other words of wisdom?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:26 PM

I still can't get it to move, a guy at the ford plant here in kc said to heat the bolt up them put dry ice on it, sounds like a bad idea to me, wouldn't that make the bolt brittel? I hav it soaking in yet some move pb blaster
Old 03-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Threads like this are the perfect example of why there are relatively few diesel techs left in most of the Ford dealerships. Now I ask you fellow members. How would you like to be the one doing this job for 2.0 hours pay? Because that's what Ford pays for this particular labour operation, even if it takes double the time. It's like having your pay cut in half for this one job.

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand. The way I tackle this particular issue on 2003 turbos is, with a mirror (a dentist's mirror) in one hand, and an oxy/acetylene torch in the other (small short tip), I heat up the flange (NOT the bolt) on the turbo side that the bolt threads into "cherry red" (using the mirror to help me see where I'm aiming the torch so that I don't do any damage to anything around), and then very quickly break the bolt loose with a 1/4" drive ratchet and a short 10mm six point socket on the bolt ready and waiting to break it loose right away. USE GREAT FINESSE WHEN DOING THIS!!! Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:09 PM

Dude I'm sorry if that makes u upset that I am working on my own crap, I work at ford too, I build f150s on the trim 2 line in Kansas City, I put the zbar/ gas peddle in, 400-600 times a day before I will probably get bumped back on C crew in suv, I understand u getting upset everytime I see a Mexican made dodge ram and a Nissan Titan or Toyotas attempt at a truck it pisses me off, my father works in the heavy repair hole 25 years, and I have 2 uncles that worked and retired with over 40 years in, I understand... But now that this rant is over thanks for the tip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.