Low boost code/overheating/white smoke? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low boost code/overheating/white smoke?

Ok i have an 04 F250 6.0L. It is all stock and the other day I was towing the trailer home when it started to put out some white smoke. The check engine light came on and then the temp gauge starts to rise. I pulled off to a gas station and a "diesel" mechanic came over started it up looked under the hood over to the tail pipe then said that the turbo is bad. He said something about a bad oil seal because there happen to be a little puddle of "fluid" coming out of the tail pipe. I am thinking about removing the turbo and sending it off to be rebuilt at Majestic turbo out of Waco. What do you guys think might be wrong? Thanks in advance for the help guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Your EGR cooler failed. Is there coolant puking out of the reservoir?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
yes more than likely you have a failed egr cooler, which is dumping coolant into the intake. recommend deleting the egr system and rebuilding the oil cooler, and hope that your head gaskets are ok. the low boost code may be caused by a sticking turbo. I would disassemble and clean the turbo when you have itt off to do tthe egr cooler delete.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well glad I asked before taking the turbo off. Now what is all intalled with checking the egr cooler? I am not very familiar with the 6.0's. I'm gonna gues that I can't just delete the egr and cooler unless I buy a programmer?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Turning diesel into noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by txag09 View Post
Well glad I asked before taking the turbo off. Now what is all intalled with checking the egr cooler? I am not very familiar with the 6.0's.
If I was you I would just delete the whole cooler and rebuild your oil cooler, it will save you money and agony in the end! Reason being all the EGR cooler is going to do is cause you problems in the future and believe me it adds up really quick when sensors, head gaskets, the turbo, etc. etc. start failing.

Quote:
I'm gonna gues that I can't just delete the egr and cooler unless I buy a programmer?
I am pretty sure that depends on the build date of your truck, if its an 03-early 04 6.0 then no you should be okay without one, but if its a late 04 then yes you need to turn off the EGR function, plus it with throw a CEL and if your state requires annual inspections your...gonna need a programmer to turn off the CEL.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Now am I gonna have to remove the cab inorder to do any of this work? Also what kind of price's am I looking at for a delete kit and rebuild kit vs. just fixing whats broke cleaning stuff and putting it back to stock? I really don't have alot of money so I am looking for the "cheap" fix and yes I know there is not really a "cheap" fix.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Turning diesel into noise

Quote:
Now am I gonna have to remove the cab inorder to do any of this work?
No, if you don't have any deeper damage other than a blown EGR cooler. Depending on who you talk to, head gaskets and stud installs are not that difficult with the cab on.

Quote:
Also what kind of price's am I looking at for a delete kit and rebuild kit vs. just fixing whats broke cleaning stuff and putting it back to stock? I really don't have alot of money so I am looking for the "cheap" fix and yes I know there is not really a "cheap" fix.
If you do a little research on some of the parts sites like Ford Parts | Buy Parts for Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Cars & Trucks | FordParts.com you will see that it is cheaper and in your best interest to pull off all that EGR crap that is a plague on your engine.
Full EGR delete is about $300 plus about $50 in misc bolts and gaskets depending on the year of your truck.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I talked to the dealership today and they want me to bring it in so they can do a delete kit for it. I thought that Texas state law required all factory emmissions to be in place for a visual inspection, am I wrong? I asked her that and she said we wouldn't sell you anything if it made the truck illegal to drive. I also asked her if they would make me buy a programmer to turn the egr function off and she said we recommend not running a programmer. Also how long does it normally take to do a egr cooler delete?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Take it in and get it done before they change their minds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.