Water in Fuel and then wouldn't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water in Fuel and then wouldn't start

Bought a 2007 F250 6.0 Harley Edition 4x4 last summer with 59k miles on it from Spokane, WA. I'm in Atlanta, GA. It now has 70k miles. Seemed to not have the power my last truck had which was the exact same truck, 07 harley f250...just fewer miles...it got stolen so I replaced it. So I replaced the fuel filters, had the fuel system cleaned, and flushed the tranny and changed fluids and filters.

Last couple weeks I started getting the "water in fuel" message. Ran some diesel kleen and some lucas then I drained the water separator. Kept getting the msg. Took it in for loss of power, they found nothing. Talked to the tech about the WIF msg and he said it was a bad sensor.

So I took the rail pump cover off where the WIF sensor is located, removed the sensor and cleaned the rust corrosion off (looked bad but cleaned up pretty well). Also cleaned out a good amount of rust sediment inside the assemply behind where the cover goes as well. Also changed oil and filter. Reinstalled all and fired it up. Started up, ran and then cut out. Couldn't get it back started.

Pulled the filter in the engine bay....looked muddy brown. Also the lil plastic piece in the middle of that housing..the 2 screws holding it in were rusty as well as the spring. Took those out and cleaned as best as possible. Replaced and put a new filter in there. Also took off the rail pump cover again and blew out the fuel lines between the rail pump and the engine compartment filter with air. I did not however change the rail fuel filter. Still won't fire.

Had it towed to the dealer. They are telling me that it needs a new rail fuel pump...$550 parts and labor. I'm wondering if there's more to this... rust in tank, messed up injectors, etc. There is a ford msg about the tanks having liner separations...does that help me here or am I on the hook for it all? No warranty coverage for fuel tank and rail pump with the powerstroke 5yr/100k warranty! Also if I have to replace, should I upgrade to something better?

I don't want to spend money if it should be covered... But if I have to pay, I don't want to replace a pump and not fix the ultimate problem..(rusty tank). And if I replace a pump, should I go with a better pump? What would that be?

Thanks, for any and all help!!! Nikk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.