Shudder problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shudder problem

OK here's my story. 03 6.0L w/ ~150K miles no real issues up until about 4 months ago. I started feeling a shudder once i was up to ~70 mph and backed out of the throttle slightly. If I got back on the accelerator enough to kick into passing gear the shudder goes away.

So I took it to a couple places and they dont have any real answers but recommend a new EGR Valve and ICP Sensor. I replace still have problem.

I try another place and they say the alternator voltage is low maybe not getting enough voltage to the computer so i change the alternator. Still have problem.

One day on the way home i hear some horrible noise in the tranny so i take it to a tranny shop. They inspect and the O/D is out of spec so i have a soft parts tranny rebuild kit put in. I am towing a 5th wheel so I have my torque converter replaced at the same time. Still have shudder problem.

So now i just feel like im never gonna get it fixed. I am heading up to Globe this weekend towing the trailer up a pretty steep grade and decide since i have this new tranny to step into it and see how it handles it. A few miles into the climb, POW. I loose power but engine still running, i look in mirror for fluid on the road but there is none. I find a pull out to get the trailer off the road and shut her down. I crawl underneath and tranny looks OK. I pop the hood and all looks OK. Decide to head back down off the hill. Engine wont start. Upon further inspection I end up finding the intercooler hose blown off. 5 minutes, put it back on engine starts and all is well.

Long winded story to get to my real questions.

1) If intercooler hose is blown off is there a sensor that keeps engine from starting?

2) Shudder problem is now gone. Could that coupling have just been leaking and causing the shudder and not blown off until i got a good sustained load on the turbo?

thanks
bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That is strange. Mine shuddered, but was the EGR.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Black&Gold Send a message via Skype™ to Black&Gold
By shudder do you mean turbo surge?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
so your problem is now fixed? im kinda confused
Old 03-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was confused too, that's why i posted the questions. It seems now that I have re-attached the intercooler hose my starting problem and shudder has gone away.

I don't know what turbo surge is but the shudder i had felt more like the engine was missing and was only at that certain rpm or load. If i got up to 70 backed my foot like i was just gonna cruise at 70 then just tried to speed up slightly it would shudder. If i put my foot in it hard the shudder would go away.

thanks for your help
Old 03-02-2010, 06:18 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just took my truck to the dealer for a shutter on the highway, they replaced the EGR valve, the EGR cooler (mine was cracked), and the #3 injector.

she runs great now
Old 04-05-2010, 05:59 AM

I am having the same type of shudder but it is between 50 and 55 and it is only when I am in the throttle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.