Yet another 05 no start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yet another 05 no start.

I stumbled across this forum looking for information, Google is my friend.
It sounds like a lot of really good people on here that are kind enough to help others out. Here is my story. 2005 6.0 with 116,000 miles. EGR cooler, valve, and oil cooler replaced under warranty at 81,000 and FICM replaced 3 weeks later along with new batteries from the dealership. This was in Nov 08.
No problems at all before then and none since until now. My son was towing his mud truck with my truck and it overheated. He stopped and let it cool off and added some coolant and made it home with no other problems. I am sure it puked out of the degass bottle. Also I noticed a little oil leaking from somewhere on the back on the passenger side but cannot pinpoint where.
I ordered an EGR delete kit and decided I would address the oil leak while installing the kit. I drove it about 80 miles one day, parked it for 5 minutes, got back in and started back up and I got halfway out my driveway and I hear the warning chime and look at the dash and see a low oil pressure message and then the truck dies. I checked the oil again and it was fine. It started a couple more times only to die and it has not started since. My delete kit arrived and I started on that and after reading all the posts here, took the cover off the hpop and noticed the stc fitting was apart. I replaced that and installed the updated turbo drain tube and put it all back together. It will not start and I am getting no codes other than EGR codes. I borrowed a Superchips programmer from my brother to check codes. Is it possible that the dummy plug o-rings are leaking bad enough to cause this? I had no warning whatsoever, no hard starts, misfiring, anything prior to this happening.
Sorry to be so long winded, just wanted to get all thin information out I could.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

How long did you actually crank the engine over, after all the work you did? Any time any part of the high pressure oil system is "opened up" it takes a LONG time of cranking the engine over (better make sure your batteries are strong) before it will "catch".
Old 03-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I forgot to mention that I pulled the IPR valve out and the screen was clean and intact. I did notice that the electric part of the valve was loose. Shake it and it wobbles. Is that normal?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have cranked it for a while several times since I put it back together. I keep the batteries fresh.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasstroke View Post
I forgot to mention that I pulled the IPR valve out and the screen was clean and intact. I did notice that the electric part of the valve was loose. Shake it and it wobbles. Is that normal?
No, it's not normal.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I didn't think anything about it when I had it out. I kept reading about screens being torn and stuff like that. I guess maybe it is not getting power.
Should I replace it or try to get the proper diagnostic equipment?
I am out of work at the moment and that is why I am trying to do this myself.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thaks for your help m-chan68. People like you make the world a better place.
I need to go pick up my wife but I will be back.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
No, it's not normal.
I removed the turbo and pulled the IPR valve out and tested it with 12 volts and could not see or hear anything moving inside it. The selenoid was loose for some reason, maybe that is the problem. I have a new one on the way.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay, I installed the new IPR valve and still no start. I found a Ford Tech that lives nearby and he is coming in the morning with his AE to diagnose the problem.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a tech come by with the diagnostic tools from Ford and after hooking it up and turning it over, we had no ICP pressure. He said it has to be the HPOP and I said what about the low pressure oil pump. He said he has never heard of one going out on an 05. We did the test for the base oil pressure and found none at all. He called a friend and his friend told him he has had to replace a couple. His friend also said the oil pressure regulator could be stuck. I can see the regulator from under the truck and the other tech is bringing the socket to take it out tonight. Any techs on here ever run across these problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.