Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

oil plug stripped by ford

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  dereku 
#1 ·
thanks to the great diesel tech who was the last one to change my oil i now have a stripped oil plug. From what it looks like he over tightened it and pulled the threads. He might have been mad for having to work over my brush gaurd that i have welded to the frame and i told them that they could not take it off when they were doing some warranty work. I would try to get them to fix it but i moved away and that dealership is now 500 miles away. Sorry for the ranting but that kind of dumb stuff gets to me.

What would be the best thing to do?:dunno: I got the plug back in and its not leaking but it wont take another oil change.

#2 ·
You can try a heli-coil. Or you could retap the threads and use a bigger plug. Or you could find a new oil pan.

Or you could remove the oil pan take it to a machine shop. They can tig weld some and retap the threads the same size as oem.

#3 ·
Oil pan removal on a 6.0L is not overly difficult.

#6 ·
There are repair plugs available that have a slightly larger thread and will self tap. They are made by Dorman in various sizes and styles. Try Pep Boys or NAPA or any real auto parts store should have them. There's really no need to pull the pan just to repair the drain plug. That's :crazy:

#7 ·
Whatever you do, I would write a letter to Ford with all the details. I'd get one in the mail today if possible. Then I would fix it however you must & send them the bill. You might be suprised with the outcome. I bought a new 1986 F250 reg cab. 7 years later the paint on the hood started peeling off. I went to the dealership where I bought it & asked what they would do for me. They just laughed. I then wrote a letter to Ford in DEarborn MI. They painted my entire truck,EVEN A DIFFERENT COLOR!!!!

#8 ·
^^ exactly ford actually cares about there customers and they show it very well. Don't write a letter I would call them and see what they can do. for all you know they might set up and appointment for you at the local dealer and cover the repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.