Need some help guys!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some help guys!!!

I need some help here guys. 07 with 81,000 miles. I am starting to have rough starts. Cycling the key twice and the first try no start. The second time it will start and it is very rough. After a minute or so it is good to go so no idea what it could be. Just replaced the Glow Plug Module and had it at the dealer were they replaced the EGR and cooler. What noone can figure out is when i turn the truck off the injectors will continue to fire for around 30 seconds. Any Ideas? The dealership who worked on it last has no idea why they are still firing. I have a 2003 FICM, would it hurt to plug this in to see if it would fire and stop the after run of the injectors. I believe the fuel is building up on the pistons after they run and the fuel is making it have the rough start. Any Ideas please. About to drive this off a cliff. Thanks John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did the injectors buzzing, or running on just start to happen? I have a 2003 which was updated with a flash in early '97. That flash buzzes the injectors for about 30 seconds after the engine is shut off (very annoying I may add). I understand this was to drain them of oil to help with cold starts. In any event, this was a very short lived flash as they introduced the inductive heating shortly after.

I'm quite the novice, but I have been researching this very topic for quite some time. From what I am reading, it's best to test the FICM. Some of the resisters seem to come loose and the FICM doesn't produce the 48 volts to effeciently run the injectors. If the FICM is putting out the required voltage, your local dealer can flash the truck with the latest flash. This will stop the injectors from buzzing when you shut the engine off, but they will now buzz just prior to starting. And finally the other thing to do is search for Rev-X. This product is having some very positive results for cold start issues. Again, all this information is from researching for a couple of weeks and it is my plan of attack to help with my cold start concerns, hope it helps.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the help. It was jsut in the dealership and they said they didn't know what to do with it. But yes the dealership flashed it about a 18 months ago and it started. Do you know is the 03 FICM will work in my truck? I am willing to try anything to see if this fixes the problem than sending mine out to Swamps and having it reprogrammed Thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 PM

The 03 FICM should work. There were some design changes from 2003-4 to the later ones, but the FICM's will swap. From what I understand, Swamps doesn't reprogram the FICM, they, for lack of better words, recondition and repair it and some have indicated that they install some components designed for higher reliability. They can also boost the output of the FICM to 58 volts which is supposed to help as well. If your FICM isn't putting out the proper voltage and you're not interested in attempting the resolder route, Swamps is the way to go BUT they don't program it, that would need to be done by someone else or by your Ford dealer. There is a couple of ways to test the FICM, with an advanced scan tool which can monitor the FICM PIDS, or by removing an access cover and directly measuring the voltage using a multimeter. I would suspect that installing the 2003 FICM would stop the injector buzz but might not help out too much with cold start issues because of a down leveled flash level, unless of course the 2003 FICM was recently flashed.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:17 PM

I beleive it was reflashed back last year and it has been sitting since. What kind of advanced scan tool do you recommend? I have a bully dog and that doesn't do it but i have a OBD2 scanner for my laptop that does live data but i bought it for a 99 ford and i dont know if it would work on my 07 diesel. Only one way to find out until i get me hands on a decent scanner.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:30 PM

Autoenginuity with the Enhanced interface for Ford is the more popular unit. If yours reads live data and can access the FICM_M which should read right around 48 volts. This should be checked while the engine is cold and monitor it with the key on, engine off. Then while cranking as well. The voltage should remain steady. If it drops then you have an FICM issue. My plan of attack is to:
1. Check the FICM voltage
-if bad I'll try to resolder the the FICM, if that doesn't work then Swamps
2. Get truck reflashed at at Ford with the latest flash
and if there's still issues then
3. Rev-X

I might do Rev-X anyway (at least once) as I haven't heard where it doesn't help some what, and in most cases fixes hard starting. My illogical concern is that it is so good that it may mask a failing FICM which I want to fully check out first. This is about the extent of my knowledge on this subject, I hope that I've steered you in the right direction, or in some direction anyway.

Oh, almost forgot, I don't think that the injectors are injecting fuel into the cylinders with the engine off, you need high pressure oil to fire the injector and that only happens with the engine turning.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:38 PM

Thank you so much for your help!! I hope I can get a diagram on how to resolder it. What is this Rev-X? I am going to some research on it but any more info from you would be great you seem to have weeks of studying on this subject lol
Old 02-26-2010, 06:45 PM

How to resolder the FICM
Rev-X follow the links in here, some interesting reading

But a question, you have a 2007 with under 100K miles, shouldn't this be warranty work? You may be much better off having the dealer test out all of this and just replace with new parts. Even paying the $100 deductable is going to be less expensive than any of the options (except for Rev-X they probably wouldn't approve of that).
Old 02-26-2010, 06:50 PM

I have took it in 2 times this week and they cannot find anything with it. They replaced the EGR and thats it. So I bought the glow plug module and put it on for the heck of it. If they cant fix it I will do it myself. I know a buddy who is a ford mechanic so I will have him check it out one more time I guess. I just want it fixed and NOW, they always have it for 3-5 days and im stuck with a loaner car which i hate.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 PM

If I were still under warranty, I would bring it to the dealer and ask them to have the latest flash loaded. The 30 second buzzing is the older flash and the new inductive flash is supposed to work much better, and may very well solve your problem by itself. From what I hear the flash takes about 20 minutes, maybe they can do it while you wait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.